Key suggestion

steffenbk1steffenbk1 Member
edited August 30 in Feedback

So i've bin playing a lot lately, and one part i find slightly annoying is how i have to heal the units. There are two ways. One to select all the damaged units individually, or two pull your whole army back to heal. Even those who don't need it. So i would suggest adding a key function that allows you to choose all damaged units. So you can keep farming/fighting while you heal the damaged units to bring them back.

Comments

• TreiskTreisk Member, Administrator

Ooh, this is a really cool idea. No clue how easy or difficult it would be to implement, but I'm gonna ping around and see how doable this is. Wouldn't expect it soon, but, damn, I like this a lot haha!

• RodickRodick Member

That would be great to have! :+1:

• SirSir Member
    edited September 2

@Treisk said:
    Ooh, this is a really cool idea. No clue how easy or difficult it would be to implement, but I'm gonna ping around and see how doable this is. Wouldn't expect it soon, but, damn, I like this a lot haha!

Here's some suggestions on how it could work:

1. Clicking on your units with a modifier key pressed, i.e., alt + click on a unit, selects all damaged units of that type in sight. That would be consistent with how when we ctrl + click on a unit we select all units of that type in sight.
    2. Box selecting with a modifier pressed (alt, for instance) selects only damaged units.
    3. Automatic Control Group (like Army or Basic units) that selects all your damaged units.

Actually, it could be all of those. If you wanted to select only damaged Sabres, you would use option 1. If you wanted to select all damaged units from a particular army chunk, you would use option 2. If you wanted to select all your damaged units to heal them before a Titan fight or whatever, you would use option 3.

• My only concern is that this would trivialize some in-battle micro. I can see myself mashing this button constantly to pull back wounded troops and cancelling it with an attack-move command, or using it to trivially separate my tanking hero from my troops.

• @tedster said:
    My only concern is that this would trivialize some in-battle micro. I can see myself mashing this button constantly to pull back wounded troops and cancelling it with an attack-move command, or using it to trivially separate my tanking hero from my troops.

• SirSir Member
    edited September 1

@tedster said:
    My only concern is that this would trivialize some in-battle micro. I can see myself mashing this button constantly to pull back wounded troops and cancelling it with an attack-move command

If you can mash the button then you are using my suggestion 3, which would pull back all your damaged units, even those that are in the back line or are only slightly damaged and don't need to be pulled back. Standard point and click micro would still be more optimal. (Also applies to suggestion number 1)

If you were to use my suggestion 2 then it would truly make it easier. But not that trivial, as it still requires box selecting units and pulling them back.

Also, think about how the pathfinding works. The damaged units would be blocked by the full health units, requiring additional micro to unblock them.

@tedster said:
    or using it to trivially separate my tanking hero from my troops.

Isn't that trivial already?

All in all, this is something that should be playtested before making any decision.

• If you organize a concave before a fight it wouldn't require any specific movement, just a button-press. Which is pretty damn powerful all things considered.

• SirSir Member

@tedster I agree that in some situations it is powerful, indeed. But I it still requires some micro and it isn't always more optimal than manual micro.

Since @Treisk loved the idea I was just giving some possible implementations as food for thought. Personally, I don't really care much about such a mechanic, but it may be worth playtesting.

• TreiskTreisk Member, Administrator

@Sir said:
    Since Treisk loved the idea I was just giving some possible implementations as food for thought. Personally, I don't really care much about such a mechanic, but it may be worth playtesting.

The more I think about it, it actually probably wouldn't work as well in our game as my kneejerk reaction made me think. I was sorta thinking about a Company of Heroes-style "retreat" button, that would make your units fall back to the nearest heal point if injured and not stop for anything (including other inputs). But, yeah, that would actually be pretty disruptive in our game in retrospect. :P