Game title feedback!

• I see the game is named "Guardians of Atlas" instead of anything else related to "Project Atlas", I play the game and it's basically a moba!
  • This makes me sad because I dont want another moba; I want a game where I can own it up solo. The name "Guardians of Atlas" even sounds like a moba, "Defence of the Ancients", "Heroes of the Storm", "Heroes of Newerth", "League of Legends"... BabyRage
  • Maybe market it as a moba? One could argue that the RTS genre as we know it is "dead" and this is the era of mobas. Or you could be champions and change the design and name to reflect the true RTS spirit!

I know you're probably tired of hearing this, but honestly. I think if you're gonna mix it up like this you will have a REALLY hard time capturing both the RTS-fans and the moba-fans, as both groups are prone to get disappointed. And the dream of 10 million users wont happen if they rather play either patch 7.xx of DotA 2 or perhaps Warcraft 4.

Well, I kinda hope you will prove me wrong...
/rant

Comments

• SirSir Member
    edited August 30

As someone suggested, Titans of Atlas sounds better, since you know, Titans are the main objective. Also, Guardians of Atlas sounds cheesy and childish, much like the MOBA names you mentioned. Not that it really matters, anyway.

Regarding the "not RTS enought" concern, I know where that feeling is coming from. But, I think that maybe the only way to "save" the RTS genre is making it a team-game (try to name a single "true" RTS that works as a good team-game) and making it more accessible by putting less emphasis on uninteractive macro (producing and building) and more emphasis on player interaction (micro and battles). They are filling a market niche and somewhat making the game have it's own genre.

I think that Artillery is on the right track gameplay-wise, and we will surely see many more improvements before release.

• It has unit production, researches, upgrades, many different unit types, individual control of units: it is an RTS. I don't like MOBAs at all and I love this game so far.

• It sounds better, but "Titans of Atlas" seems a bit double-dip since "Atlas" in greek mythology was a titan :P I still havent come up with anything better than "Project Atlas" ^^

Not sure what you mean with a "good team-game", I think it works pretty good in both WC3 and SC2, but they are balanced around 1v1. But you might be right anyway, that this is paving way for a new type of game.

There's just a very simple reason I don't want another (competative) team game; you will need a full premade in order to actually experience the "competative" game, and thus if YOU want to play, you also need to match up with your friends. And it's very rare that you have IRL friends at the same skill level, at the same level of dedication or at the same schedule so you have to find arbitrary internet friends that you're supposed to agree with over an extended period of time. And when you get to a certain point with "your team", you simply won't get that much from playing solo public.

That's at least my experience from DotA...

BTW sorry for bad OP, I was on a rant. This now is a "MOBA-RTS" thread!

• @Spartak said:
    It has unit production, researches, upgrades, many different unit types, individual control of units: it is an RTS. I don't like MOBAs at all and I love this game so far.

Yeah you're right, I am a bit harsch, it's a good game, but you can also make a list of MOBA-elements in the game, and it's mostly the forced team-game I'm opposed to.

• Cerebral09Cerebral09 Member, Moderator

@HoolaBandoola said:
    * This makes me sad because I dont want another moba; I want a game where I can own it up solo. The name "Guardians of Atlas" even sounds like a moba, "Defence of the Ancients", "Heroes of the Storm", "Heroes of Newerth", "League of Legends"... BabyRage

There's ton of demand for a 1v1 game for sure and the devs have noted this demand. They are working on additional game modes, so fingers-crossed that 1v1 is under strong consideration :)

As for the naming, this is actually just a really popular naming format these days, you see it everywhere, across all genres :)

Wings of Liberty
    Heart of the Swarm
    Legacy of the Void
    Call of Duty
    World of Warcraft
    God of War
    The Last of Us

It's so common in TV there's a TV tropes page for it :D

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheXOfY

• "Arctora"?

• TreiskTreisk Member, Administrator

The truth of the matter is: naming a game is difficult. We, ourselves, had hangups about the "Guardians" part of the name because of the risk of it sounding like a MOBA, but it was such a strong fit for a lore idea we liked that we went with it. It was also pretty-unanimously agreed, after being "Project Atlas" for so long, that we wanted to keep the word "Atlas" in there.

But, to return to the point: Naming a game is hard. :P

• @Treisk said:
    The truth of the matter is: naming a game is difficult. We, ourselves, had hangups about the "Guardians" part of the name because of the risk of it sounding like a MOBA, but it was such a strong fit for a lore idea we liked that we went with it. It was also pretty-unanimously agreed, after being "Project Atlas" for so long, that we wanted to keep the word "Atlas" in there.

But, to return to the point: Naming a game is hard. :P

Ok, yes I agree, I only came up with really lame ideas when I tried to think of a different name. :p
    Guardians of Atlas is fine, and makes for a nice abbrevation at least. :)
    I'm not really proud of this thread... (how I made it; too whiny)