As a new player, I am intimidated and uncertain how to get some information in game

Hi friends,

Here are a variety of stories:

As a first-time player, when selecting units in my army in order to get more information about them, I'm uncertain how much HP they have, what their armor type is, and how to get the "detailed" boxes that I saw in one of the past videos. I realize that I don't need to know that in the game (it's not essential), but its confusing to me when I'm expecting to be about to "focus down" on a unit. <update - found in the bottom of the guide this is disabled - I would mention that more prominently or you'll hear it a lot this weekend>

As a first-time player, when I'm clicking around in the team selection screen, I don't understand the mechanics of how unit selection works. Sometimes there are choices, sometimes there are not choices - it doesn't make sense. A UX idea would be putting little boxes in the top right of a selection box that show how many options apply for that box, and which highlights the option selected. Example: let's say there are five advanced unit choices. Put five empty squares left to right in the top of the selection portrait, and when I select an option (let's say its the top left choice), fill in the left-most box in that square, then gray out the left most box in all of the other little sets-of-five.

As a first time player, when I'm trying to jump between my base and army, I'm also confused about how to select and get back to my base. I tried control-1 style hotkeys but that didn't seem to work.

As a first time player, I'm uncertain about how to give commands to my bot friends when I'm trying to coordinate with or direct them, which makes me feel frustrated.

Comments

• TreiskTreisk Member, Administrator

@WillNotMafia said:
    As a first-time player, when selecting units in my army in order to get more information about them, I'm uncertain how much HP they have, what their armor type is, and how to get the "detailed" boxes that I saw in one of the past videos. I realize that I don't need to know that in the game (it's not essential), but its confusing to me when I'm expecting to be about to "focus down" on a unit. <update - found in the bottom of the guide this is disabled - I would mention that more prominently or you'll hear it a lot this weekend>

Yeah, I'm excited to get this UI back in the game. More information, woo!

As a first-time player, when I'm clicking around in the team selection screen, I don't understand the mechanics of how unit selection works. Sometimes there are choices, sometimes there are not choices - it doesn't make sense. A UX idea would be putting little boxes in the top right of a selection box that show how many options apply for that box, and which highlights the option selected. Example: let's say there are five advanced unit choices. Put five empty squares left to right in the top of the selection portrait, and when I select an option (let's say its the top left choice), fill in the left-most box in that square, then gray out the left most box in all of the other little sets-of-five.

We've gotten this a good amount throughout the test weekend as well. Definitely need to get more clarity on the deck-building screen. Dig the suggestion here too; even if that's not the route we go, it helped me understand what frustrated you about it. Awesome.

As a first time player, when I'm trying to jump between my base and army, I'm also confused about how to select and get back to my base. I tried control-1 style hotkeys but that didn't seem to work.

The current "default" base hotkeys are I, O, P. Not ideal. Likely something we'll be putting more energy into in the future. I personally tend to have my structures on 4/5/6/7 and army on 1/2/3. You mentioned they didn't seem to work for you; did you mean technically, or mechanically? Like, did it literally not function, or did it just not feel comfortable? Would love to hear more from ya on this point!

As a first time player, I'm uncertain about how to give commands to my bot friends when I'm trying to coordinate with or direct them, which makes me feel frustrated.

You can direct the bots by Pinging. Ping is on N by default right now, which is not ideal. When we transitioned from the browser to the client, keeping ping on a hotkey made a lot of sense. Being in our own client, now, though, means that we can use Alt for pings like we always wanted to. Which also means directing your bot allies will be easier! And so will communicating with your teammates in PvP! Woo!

Thanks so much for the post. You covered some topics we've just started thinking about, so this feedback is much appreciated!

• Like, did it literally not function, or did it just not feel comfortable?

I didn't see any feedback that my hotkeys had "set" and when I pressed 1 or 2, the hotkey didn't seem to work. However, I was in the middle of a lot of learning and might have just missed it. I then discovered I,O, and P and stopped trying to do custom hotkeys.

LMK if you want me to hop in on my Macbook to test against a bot.

You can direct the bots by Pinging.

WHOA. That's awesome, had no idea.

You're welcome and thanks for reviewing my early feedback!

• TreiskTreisk Member, Administrator

@WillNotMafia said:
    I didn't see any feedback that my hotkeys had "set" and when I pressed 1 or 2, the hotkey didn't seem to work. However, I was in the middle of a lot of learning and might have just missed it. I then discovered I,O, and P and stopped trying to do custom hotkeys.

Showing command groups in the UI is likely something we'll be doing down the road. Lots of UI work to do, and that one's gonna be a big help of course! Sorry for any confusion this caused ya in the meantime!

You're welcome and thanks for reviewing my early feedback!

Thanks for giving it! :D