Bottom Lane Thoughts

I feel that bottom lane does not work as an interesting/fun element of play. I speak from inexperience of course, so take this with a grain of salt.

The reason I believe this is that it is largely a 1v1 arena and, the squads as they exist, do not feel balanced to 1v1. I feel this because as someone like Alder, someone who can pick and choose engagements gives Alder a very hard time. For example, Vela is devastatingly difficult to fight alone.

This could be mitigated if there was a way to lane switch once a match had begun, some element of team drafting, or if elements of ganking were more strongly encouraged to allow for bottom lane to recover from early losses of terrirtory/control but as it stands some matches feel like they are decided from the onset without a lot of ability to react in game for your team.

I think movement between lanes is super lacking, being surprised by a sudden appearance of a player's squad from another area of the map through clever use of some kind of movement (teleport) or otherwise, perhaps at a cost, could be a way to make this more interesting.

Comments

• Not a dev, but I feel like this is mostly something that can technically "shake out in the meta".

That is to say, I don't believe it's necessarily a bad thing that certain squads fare better in a "1v1" environment as compared to a 2v2, and vice versa.

A bigger issue here is that unlike a MOBA, where lane positions are decided largely by the team beforehand, Atlas currently randomly chooses your location, so you can feel constrained in your choices based on your random position assignment.

Alternately, you can just play Eris! Eris is always solid, but I do believe she's slightly better 1v1 and doesn't have a great deal of bad matchups.

• JeekarooseJeekaroose Member
    edited January 30

I agree that it's fine for squads to do better/worse in 2v2/1v1 situations; I definitely think though that the bottom part of the map currently is way too separate from the top part, and permanently so. Lane assignments in mobas don't fix your spawn location to be permanently shitty for influencing the other side of the map, which makes it much easier for the map to open up over the course of a match as opposed to these set 1v1 + 2v2 scenarios with occasional visits between them.