My experience coming into Atlas

Just yesterday, I finished downloading the game and played with some bots. Immediately, I was hit with this tutorial that was informative but not quite complete. It felt like the game was asking me to learn from PvP, which I understand and approve. Besides, the bots that I played against after the tutorial were not interesting and quite dumb, so I lost interest very quickly.

The next day, which is today, I started to play some PvP. At first, I was annoyed, because my lack of knowledge made me self-conscious. I was thinking that I was at a disadvantage and so on. However, I went on to win the first game regardless. It was easy and I actually outperformed. This streak happened with the rest of games. In total, I had won 5 games out of 5. Now that I think about it, it wasn't much of a surprise because I had lots of experience with RTS games and micro was my strong suit in those RTS games. Of course, that's not all the reasons why I won. I had great teammates who partied with me throughout 3 of my games. One was a dev, some were veterans, and the others were new players like me. Of the 5 games, there were definitely challenges. Sometimes, I was an idiot and let internet lag get the best of me. I got greedy with my micro during a lag spike and I lost my units and my hero. Fun. And half the time, my opponents outperformed me and I had to retreat from a fight.

Of the 3 hours I had with the game, I played with Vex the most.
First, I find the Vex to be a strong map control character. His D ability to shoot fireballs helps warns the enemy by saying, "Hey! I'm still here, so don't think you can do whatever you want." The ultimate is a super charged version of the fireball that says a completely different message, "Get out! Get out! Or get your butt kicked."

The units he has are very strong. The Enderfiend's ability is incredibly useful, sometimes too useful. I can clear entire heroes from the center of map during the Titan fight. Or I can wipe half an army if they chase me to a choke point. Other times, I take the opportunity to melt stunned enemies in an awesome combination. Vex's units all share this similarity of crowd control.
For examples:
The Cinder Beetle makes more beetles to match the numbers and to create fodder.
The Exofiend is a tough AOE melee unit that can ambush by unborrowing, which stuns enemies.
The Pyrosaur burns everything that commits into a fight with it.
The Lancer has high health and rapidly shoots high damaging laser shots, perfect for wiping out tier 1 units in moments.

Despite my praising, I'd say Vex has noticeable weakness, mainly snipers and armored melee units, since Vex's units are very fragile. After a big fight, Vex often loses half his army and the rest of his units are at half health. The two main culprits are snipers and melee tanks.
Snipers: If you can't hit them, but also can't risk getting hit by them, then you are in a pickle.
Melee Tanks: I can soak up those fireballs and lasers without a pinch. Now that I'm in front of you, how many punches can you take without dying? Me: Like one or two. Runs the hell out of there

Thanks for reading my blog of random thoughts.

From, Grombie

Comments