Feedback - Game speed

I feel that the current game is too slow - there feels like there is too much downtime. The slow-ness of the game is anti-competitive as it makes micro too easy.

Comments

• HexHex Member

I don't agree it makes micro too easy, but I do agree the game speed is too slow. In general, things should be moving about 1.5x to 2x faster.

• NegativeZeroNegativeZero Member
    edited August 27

i think the overall game speed is ok, but i think there should be more variation in unit movement speeds, everything seems kind of same-ish right now. i'd like to see a unit like the zergling or hellion from sc2 - a weak but ultra-fast flanker/harasser unit that can punish lack of map awareness by hitting where your enemy isn't.

• RodickRodick Member

In my opinion game speed is good and movement speed too. I would not change a thing about that.

• BlodirBlodir Member
    edited August 27

I absolutely agree, slowness was my first complaint with the game. It's not just about movementspeed, but the speed at which players move between different objectives - it takes really quite a long time to take down creeps so there is a large discrepancy in the time it takes to transition between creepcamps and killing the creeps themselves. Imo it's important to have a continuous flow transitioning between camps instead of being stuck in one place forever, the transitionary phases are what allows for more player interaction.

Also a loosely related thing; I hate having "token weapons" (weapons that do so little damage they feel like they might as well not exist), it feels very frustrating to a new player

• I dont think there is anything wrong with the Movement speed or dmg/healt of units, but the Neutral camps should respawn much faster! At the start of the Game you get some basic units, clear out the camps and then you have to just run around for a while until the titans spawn. But often even after the Titans are dead, neutral camps are not back up to farm. This severely slows down the game, and would be a great area to work with, since the devs want Games to be a bit shorter anyways..

• @NukeOfficial said:
    I dont think there is anything wrong with the Movement speed or dmg/healt of units, but the Neutral camps should respawn much faster! At the start of the Game you get some basic units, clear out the camps and then you have to just run around for a while until the titans spawn. But often even after the Titans are dead, neutral camps are not back up to farm. This severely slows down the game, and would be a great area to work with, since the devs want Games to be a bit shorter anyways..

Totally agree, tweaking the respawn times of things could def help the game out a lot. Plus the introduction of more units and more unique units could really bring this game to the next level, this would of course make balancing harder. Def like the direction the game is heading in though.

• XiniuXiniu Member

I like the speed as it is right now I don't have any arguments to support that except that you can't possibly have an apm high enough to hit perfect microing.
    I just find the speed pleasant.

• The speed of the game is alright but resource management is a little finicky. Especially the unit caps, it the default unit cap should be higher tbh.

• MilleaMillea Member

I believe that my problem with speed is that there's too much downtime between things like titans. Mid feels weird being a void most of the time, and titans being so powerful that it forces all 6 players to come together.

• AtimoAtimo Member

@NukeOfficial said:
    I dont think there is anything wrong with the Movement speed or dmg/healt of units, but the Neutral camps should respawn much faster! At the start of the Game you get some basic units, clear out the camps and then you have to just run around for a while until the titans spawn. But often even after the Titans are dead, neutral camps are not back up to farm. This severely slows down the game, and would be a great area to work with, since the devs want Games to be a bit shorter anyways..

Totally agree with that

• Atlas's move speeds are samey compared to Starcraft's. Nearly all units are between 4.2 and 5.2 speed, with a few slowpokes as low as 3.2 and the fastest speedster averaging 6.3 if you use its speed boost on cooldown. Speed gaps don't really get wider than 2x unless someone's under a slow effect.

Compare to Starcraft, where a normal range is more like 4 to 6, with 10 as the peak (speed vulture) and 3.33 as the slowest ground unit that's usable without a shuttle (High Templar). http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/Unit_Movement_Speed

(SC and Atlas use different scales, of course, but both scales are linear. The speed band in Starcraft is twice as wide as in Atlas.)

• cdisscdiss Member

@NegativeZero said:
    i think the overall game speed is ok, but i think there should be more variation in unit movement speeds, everything seems kind of same-ish right now. i'd like to see a unit like the zergling or hellion from sc2 - a weak but ultra-fast flanker/harasser unit that can punish lack of map awareness by hitting where your enemy isn't.

That unit is currently the sabre. I'd like to see more units like this though.

I also think gamespeed is overall fine, but I agree with NukeOfficial / Atimo / Millea that the long downtimes of camps makes the game pace (as distnguished from literal game speed) feel slow or awkward. I don't think the titan times are bad, but I think faster respawns on camps would be interesting to see. Of course that might also mess up the economy if there's way more shards available as a result.

• SirSir Member

@NegativeZero said:

Absolutely agree, unit speed distribution feels too samey. I would like some units that are inefficient in combat between equally sized armies, but are fast so they can be used to scout, flank, pick off reinforcements and chase fleeing units, much like speedlings, hellions or mutalisks.