My thoughts on Grath

Disclaimer: I am not very good at this game yet (but I plan on playing a lot and giting gud), and have minimal "natural" skill with MOBAs, so this may all be not relevant for most players.

I played 4 games with Grath today, following a similar build to the Grath gameplay video from Artillery Games. My record was 1-3, and I believe there is a common thread between all 3 of my losses:

• Batterhorn damage feels too low, even after level 4 upgrades. It didn't seem to do enough damage to my opponents or to the Titan, especially when you get to the 35minute mark and the game is at the point of, "If they get the Titan, /gg". I think this would force the Batterhorn out of a good composition in favor of Abominable Sludge, because the Sludge has huge amounts of health, and deals a fair amount of damage, with an upgrade to heal itself.
  • Melee unit pathing is not working very well yet, which makes the early game hard, especially with the first Titan engagement (because you are still at a Terrapin-based composition with only 2 or 3 Howling Commandos), because the Terrapin Troopers have to be in melee range of the Titan to deal damage, and when 3 player's armies are all clumped up, it is nearly impossible to get a surround on the Titan. I know the game is in it's early stages, and I have a strong belief that the pathing will improve, but for now, I think this poses an issue with balance/meta/whatever.

Anyways, thank you for reading my thoughts on Grath, and I look forward to whatever response(s) I get. Once again, this may be bad information, and not constructive to the game as a whole, but I would like to put my two cents forward.

Comments

• PoePoe Member

I think the Batterhorn is not supposed to be used for tanking and dps, but more so for its absurdly long charge, that can remove a good portion of an army from the fight temporarily. Additionally, it's great for shoving around the titan.

I will admit that I do swap out the batterhorn for the trebuchet.
    P.S. maybe my eyes deceive me, but I thought the batterhorn was doing splash?

• If the Batterhorn is going to be purposed for it's charge, I think that it's supply requirement should be dropped then, because it is 11 supply, which is 27ish percent of the total supply. Only having 6 Howling Commandos, Grath, and some engineers/patchbots doesn't give enough DPS to hold its own in the lategame imo.

• cdisscdiss Member

@zzzanderw said:
    If the Batterhorn is going to be purposed for it's charge, I think that it's supply requirement should be dropped then, because it is 11 supply, which is 27ish percent of the total supply. Only having 6 Howling Commandos, Grath, and some engineers/patchbots doesn't give enough DPS to hold its own in the lategame imo.

If you've maxed out your supply at 80 using the generator, 11 supply is about 14 percent of the total supply, which I feel is reasonable for the unit. Its charge is insanely valuable, and it's very tanky as well.