Playtest 233: Account Progression, Floating Damage Text, and Balance!

TreiskTreisk Member, Administrator
edited August 7 in Patch Notes

Playtest 233: Account Progression, Floating Damage Text, and Balance!

NOTE: DON'T FORGET TO UNLOCK SOME UNITS IN THE COLLECTION TAB!

Account Progression

• Units are no longer available to all players by default and must be unlocked.
  • Units can be purchased in the COLLECTION tab of the out-of-game client for currency gained from playing the game.
  • 1000 Bonus currency is awarded when a player's account levels up!
  • Some units are on a Free Rotation. The Free Rotation includes:

• One hero from each faction, and their basic unit
    • Two units associated with each hero
    • Patchbots
    • Sentinels
  • Players that volunteered to have their level and currency reset have been reset. You know who you are.

Deck Building

• Added a safeguard for the frequent, accidental behavior where a player would try to select a card and instead confirm/ready. When selecting a card, the "Ready" button will now be replaced by an instruction to make your choice!
  • Added a "Cancel" button that restores your previous card selection.

Gameplay

Titans

• Titan movement is now more predictable
  • Fixed a bug that prevented Titan health from scaling correctly
  • Fixed a bug that prevented Heroes trying to claim Titans from correctly being stunned.

Critter Regions

• Critters now drop Gems for the team that secured the killing blow.
  • Spawn rate: 20 seconds ⇒ 30 seconds
  • Critters no longer cast their area stun if the shield is not broken in time.
  • Critter Health: 900 ⇒ 1100
  • Critter shield: 60 ⇒ 50
  • Critter damage taken from Shield Pop: 300 ⇒ 400

Creeps

• Creeps now drop Gems for the team that secured the killing blow.
  • Caterpillar (Easy Camp minion; Medium Camp minion)

• Size reduced by ~20%
  • Mantis Flower (Medium Camp captain)

• Gems dropped: 8 ⇒ 6
  • Flying Fly-Trap (Flying hard-camp minion)

• Gems dropped: 8 ⇒ 4
  • Pitcher Plant (Hard-camp Captain)

• Gems dropped: 16 ⇒ 12

User Interface

• Added Floating Damage Text!

• Damage numbers are on by default. They can be disabled in the Interface tab in the Settings menu
    • Damage numbers will aggregate to the total value if instances of damage happen at very close points in time (~0.2 seconds)

Units

Blue

• Hydros

• Damage: 18 ⇒ 19
    • Attack cooldown: 1.3 seconds ⇒ 1.2 seconds
  • Scuttleguard

• Energy cost: 4 ⇒ 6
    • Health: 250 ⇒ 380
    • Damage: 14 ⇒ 19
    • Attack cooldown: 1.5 seconds ⇒ 1.3 seconds
    • Unit cap: 20 ⇒ 15
    • Retracting Roll

• Damage: 5 ⇒ 8
      • Movement slow: 60% ⇒ 70%
      • Movement slow duration: 3 seconds ⇒ 4 seconds
    • Calcified Shell (Upgrade)

• Bonus health: 15 ⇒ 25
      • Bonus health per hero level: 3 ⇒ 4
  • Dredgecrawler

• Fixed a major bug that prevented Dredgecrawler attacks from self-destructing on impact.

Green

• Grath

• Stone Form now properly silences the target.
  • Terrapin Trooper

• Size reduced by ~8%
  • Howling Commando

• Attack range: 5.0 ⇒ 5.25
    • Attack Splash radius: 1.25 ⇒ 1.5
  • Toxin Mystic

• Deadly Toxin no longer affects Juggernauts.

Red

• Vex

• Scorch

• Ignite is now categorized as a FIRE effect
  • Spitfire

• Backdraft now deals bonus damage to any target with a FIRE effect.

• Does not stack with multiple FIRE effects
  • Emberfiend

• Attack cooldown: 1.4 seconds ⇒ 1.8 seconds
    • Attacks apply **Ignite ⇒ Burn, which is a FIRE effect
    • Burn deals 4 damage per second for 5 seconds
    • Fireball ⇒ Heat Wave

• Damage per Second: 50 ⇒ 80
  • Pyrosaur

• Flamethrower

• Damage per Second: 70 ⇒ 75
      • No longer applies Ignite

White

• Conduit

• Attack range: 11 ⇒ 10
    • Attack leash range: 13 ⇒ 12
    • Attack damage type: Normal ⇒ Projectile
    • Movement speed: 5.3 ⇒ 5.1
    • Drill Laser

• Damage per Second: 100 ⇒ 120
      • Damage type: Normal ⇒ Projectile
      • Cooldown: 30 seconds ⇒ 40 seconds
  • Precognitor

• Unit cap: 3 ⇒ 2
    • Hamaliel's Blessing

• Cooldown: 10 seconds ⇒ 18 seconds
      • Duration: 6 seconds ⇒ 4 seconds
      • No longer castable on Titans (had no effect anyway)

Mercenaries

• Juggernaut

• Health: 3500 ⇒ 6000
  • Siege Engineer

• Deploy

• Now targets a spot to deploy, rather than activating at its current location
      • Now displays a range indicator when targeting Deploy (also shows in the minimap).
      • A deployed Siege Engineer, and its range, are now visible to enemies.
    • Undeploy

• Time to undeploy: 20 seconds ⇒ 3 seconds

Comments

• Tutorial

Unit Production Training
    (1.1) - Just thought I'd go through the tutorial to check a couple things, go for the full reset feel. Couple notes, there was a phase before the teammate spawn that I was able to turn off auto-production and had full access to the unit cards, so built lava splitters and such. Also, it looked like the unit cards weren't displaying the production hotkeys. Player expectation was to get some currency from completing the tutorial.

Progression

Currency
    (2.1) - I was surprised to find that in a game that bug splatted, I had still accumulated some currency. I didn't remember a mention of how the currency is earned in the patch notes, so this makes me curious whether it was gained from starting a game, time in game, or some other metric. It felt like the currency for that game was low, but I'd assume that the order of accumulation rate would increase in order from incomplete game > loss > win. If that is the case, that feels right.

Collection Screen
    (2.2) - For new players, it could be nice to indicate why certain units are expensive, for example, drawing a line that or something that indicates that the Sandstinger unlocks when you unlock Eris.

(2.3) - With the current set, it already feels like a deep amount of progression potential. An idea occurred to me while I was looking through the units in the collection, deciding what to unlock. Many games with similar unlock progressions preview the [unit] in action. An alternative to this could be a more diagrammed representation of where the unit would function in a nominal engagement. Mocked it up (here as a mouseover on portrait). Instead of shape abstractions, definitely think it would be cooler to see the units, though with some indication of attack vectors. I like this idea because it pre-loads the concept of the strategy in the engagement, even if you're 1-A'ing.
    Unit Shorthand Preview Mockup

Gameplay

(3.1) - Normally, damage text wouldn't be a big QoL request for me, but playing with it today, it definitely is nice to have, especially for those times when you're either going "wait, I feel like this should be doing more damage" or when you've just completed an upgrade. It's a nice source of feedback.

• MilleaMillea Member

On the new wild caterpillars, they feel much better now that they don't stun. I wish that regular caterpillars and pitcher plants were the same way.

The new mechanics for wild caterpillars make a lot more sense than the old ones, although i think they can still be improved. Although any hero can now consistently solo 1 per 5 seconds (For 6 over the 30 seconds they're up), it's extraordinarily apm intensive and skill based to do so, particularly on heroes like Ryme who are very dependent on proccing the shield for this 1 kill per 5 seconds.

I would also like titans to not be auto targetted like the caterpillars if possible. However, i'm not sure if this'd be easy to implement.

Precogs feel a lot more balanced, although I would have probably preferred a substantial cost increase (To apoc levels) as a nerf instead of keeping it at its low cost and reducing unit cap as more and more high tier units in the Order of Hamaliel (Cool name by the way) seem to be getting lowered in unit cap and in power Precog, Wind Ray, Purifier all got unit cap reduced, and no one ever uses 6 zephyrs anyways, so a lot of power is starting to need to come from tier 1 + support. As white, I leftover shards are not uncommon.

• TreiskTreisk Member, Administrator

@CohLysion said:
    (2.3) - With the current set, it already feels like a deep amount of progression potential. An idea occurred to me while I was looking through the units in the collection, deciding what to unlock. Many games with similar unlock progressions preview the [unit] in action. An alternative to this could be a more diagrammed representation of where the unit would function in a nominal engagement. Mocked it up (here as a mouseover on portrait). Instead of shape abstractions, definitely think it would be cooler to see the units, though with some indication of attack vectors. I like this idea because it pre-loads the concept of the strategy in the engagement, even if you're 1-A'ing.
    Unit Shorthand Preview Mockup

Definitely a feature we want to add to the Collection/Shop when we have time. Our original mockups for it actually have something like what you're talking about (that is, a short gameplay clip of the unit). No ETA/timeline for it unfortunately.