Thoughts

TekkyTekky Member

I am still very new to this game. These thoughts and opinions are very likely to change as I play more.

I really enjoy the resource management system, even though I haven't been brave enough to turn off auto-queuing just yet. There's always a choice to be made, and I like that.

I'm having issues with the audio/visual feedback in the game. During my very first bot games, I ended up losing my entire army several times. I'd be looking around the map a bit, check a building or two, and when I'd scroll back to my army... it would be gone. I never even realized I was being attacked. As I've played more, I've gotten more used to always keeping track of my units. However, I do feel like there's something missing when it comes to feedback.

I have yet to really grasp which units or what abilities to look out for. This is of course always true for someone who is new to a game, but perhaps there's more to it as well. I'm not really feeling the "impact" of the units. In the middle of a battle, I only hear a bunch of "pew pew" or "pow pow" sounds. I have a very hard time quickly deciding if something is hurting me or not. It's getting better the more I play, but I really think there could be more distinct cues. The orbital strike of Celesta has a nice big red circle. The volley of Eris is pretty visible as well. However, I always feel like I was never warned about these abilities. I guess I'm expecting some kind of "nuclear launch detected" noise, so I can panic the sh*t out and make micro errors. Instead, I mainly feel frustrated. Because by the time I realize what's going on, it's almost always too late.

The only other thing I instantly felt I was missing was some kind of "ping wheel". Something similar to the smart pings in League of Legends or the action wheel in Overwatch. Since this is a team game, I want to be able to quickly tell my team mates what I am doing without having to type up a sentence. Team work feels super important.

Comments

• TekkyTekky Member
    edited August 26

So, here's an update.

I'd like to apologize in advance if I sound awfully negative. It's hard to put words to feelings I have about the game. I'd say the game improves with each update, so I may still end up loving the game!

Size and Movement

I really dig the increase in size, it makes easier to see individual units. It does however make the map feel super cramped all of a sudden, even with the lower unit cap. Unit collision is a big part of the game right now, and I feel like I'm afraid of being near my team mates because of it. Since my units won't move out of the way, I'm a walking death trap. This was true in earlier builds as well, but now that my units are larger, they tend to herp derp a lot more. Even when by myself I have some problems. If I send in my Raptor before Vela towards a creep by mistake, I can't just click that one Raptor and walk it out. Because 99% of the time, the rest of my units block said Raptor's movement.

AOE

I've tried writing something up about AOE over and over, but I just can't pinpoint what I dislike about it. I guess it comes down to not really liking losing 10+ units in an instant to a single spell. I think this ties into the horrible feeling of loss that I try to talk about later.

Resources

I've found the resource system to be less interesting as of late. Right now, killing creeps (especially medium/large camps) is what gets you units and upgrades, not the resource queue. When those camps appear, all of a sudden you can get a new tier, a few upgrades, and maybe even a couple of tech units. These income spikes coupled with, what I feel, the low impact of the queue, makes it a bit lackluster. The production slot upgrade also feels odd. Is there ever a point when you don't want to spam out all your production slots asap?

Loss of units

When I die with my hero in a MOBA, I don't feel as horrible as when I die with my army in Atlas. It feels like the game encourages continues fights, but I don't feel as if I want to ever just "go for it". In League of Legends, I'll try something fancy and die, but hey, I'll just respawn with all my items intact a bit later. In Atlas, I feel like I was just stomped back to the beginning of the game. That's a bit harsh, I guess. You retain upgrades after all. But, as opposed to League of Legends, dying in Atlas costs resources; potentially a lot of resources.

Feelings

I won't lie, I don't really love the game. It's cool, but for some reason it doesn't click for me. I see people calling the game "sluggish", and I can agree with that. Playing from EU is partly to blame for this I assume. However, even without lag, the game feels "slow". It could be the animations, it could be movement speed (in relation to screen size), I'm honestly not sure.

• tedstertedster Member
    edited August 21

Tier 1.5 builds rarely want to spam production slots. Tier 1.5 is really good now.

I do think there should maybe be 2 tier 1.5 options per faction because they really define the midgame now I feel and having limited options as some factions (like Red) can be rough.