[Proposal] Lock systems behind player levels

Hi all,

As a new player I really like the amount of game play systems in place in current alfa. It feels like devs trying to implement everything to see "what works", and it's great in a sense that that's the best way to find something new in existing formula. But at the same time I feel overwhelmed with all the details I need to master that are available for me from the start. And I'm afraid it can influence how people play the game and devs decisions down the line - there's only so much attention and understanding new player like me have and I afraid a lot of cool mechanics can be unintentionally un-used by me.

So my proposal is to create some "tiers" of mechanics that links to player's progression - start with the core mechanics and than after few games level up and announce to the player that he can now have access to new mechanics (for example, hero items)

I know, that that's pre-alfa and everything is subject to change, etc. But if you want proper statistics of how people use features I think you should have some approach in place right now. Because it directly influence the adaptability of said gameplay mechanics in the first plays.

And it can be voluntary - you already have questionnaire about perceived level of a player in the beginning. The same principle can apply - "give me all features from the start" / "provide me some guidance and limitations "

Comments

• TokOwaTokOwa Member
    edited July 19

Hey, this is an interesting thought and I wanted to offer some insight on the basic elements included in the game and question what specifically you would propose could change.

As you might be aware, certain functions already exist. You can log in and play Atlas using only "Unit Control" and Warp-In Button, and the rest will be automated. This includes Deck Building, Unit Production and Generator Production. Obviously, these elements are not very optimal, and it's likely that a new player will feel forced to manage the strategic in order to stay somewhat competitive. The sub-optimality of the automated mechanics is also deliberate. They want micro-management to be rewarding.

One of the reasons I'm skeptical to a 'hard' lock on mechanics is that every player might learn things in a different order. There isn't necessarily a correct learning progression to the game, and as a result, some players might feel handicapped in a PvP game, because they were locked out of a mechanic that they otherwise were ready to tackle. Heroes of the Storm struggled with this when they level locked Talents. People who improved rapidly were unable to use optimal talent builds because they were locked out.

I absolutely understand your perspective, but I think there are other ways to go about solving the issue. With regards to game mechanics, I think tutorials are the way to go. Developers will even say that the Tutorial is far from an acceptable standard. That's okey, it'll improve as we get further in the development process. What I would like to see are short, scenario-based almost hybrid video tutorials to run through the different mechanics. For example, if there is a tutorial on Energy, I want them to tell me what I can spend it on, and ALL the sources of acquisition. If there is a tutorial on Base Structures, I want it to tell me exactly what I get from every building. I think this will help provide information succinctly while avoiding the risk of accidentally handicapping a player in a competitive game.

With regards to Game Knowledge, there is a certain point where Developers cannot further assist in teaching you. Developers shouldn't dictate good strategy for example, because it might make them implicit in 'deliberately' designing the game in favour of certain units, which is not good. They can of course, partake in discussions, but it should be just that, opinions as fellow players. Players however, should become more active in diffusing game knowledge. In SC2, people augment their game through learning from other players, and using build orders that were developed by other players. Game knowledge is player driven in most games, and the Atlas community should become more proactive too.

Let me know what you think, and how exactly you would envision limiting the mechanics in a way that would be helpful for the new player.

• SlammeRSlammeR Member

for myself I know I would be super frustrated to have certain aspects of the game locked when I first start playing, I would feel like the game is unfairly starting me out with an arbitrary handicap.

• @SlammeR said:
    for myself I know I would be super frustrated to have certain aspects of the game locked when I first start playing, I would feel like the game is unfairly starting me out with an arbitrary handicap.

I feel ya. In fact, unlocking units seems pretty unfair to me already. But, oh well, we'll see...

• @CyborgHotDog said:
    I feel ya. In fact, unlocking units seems pretty unfair to me already. But, oh well, we'll see...

I think the best thing to come out of locking units is that it will force brand new players to play bot games prior to jumping into pvp which, in my mind, will prevent a TRENCH tier developing. The unlocks are pretty quick to achieve at this stage.