Low performance with integrated nVidia gpu

Preface - System specs

Laptop Model : Asus N56VZ
CPU: Intel i7-3610QM
GPU1: Intel HD4000
GPU2: nVidia GT650M (2GB DDR3 memory), driver ver. 368.39
Monitor: 1920x1080

In-game settings: Integrated preset, borderless fullscreen w/ 50% resolution

I was having some weird performance issues where, first time I'd get into a game after launching the game client the game would run ok-ish (50-70 fps, below 60 for the most part), and then for the second game would absolutely tank down to 20-30 fps.

I thought the performance I was getting initially was normal, since this is pre-alpha and integrated gpu's suck balls, even nVidia/AMD ones, mine is fairly old too so no surprises there.

So I figured hey maybe its switching to the intel GPU instead and that's what causes the massive fps drop. So to confirm I tried running it on the intel GPU and to my surprise it ran FASTER than on the nVidia one. Was getting around ~90 fps.

Then I thought, alright maybe the nVidia GPU is overheating, so I played a bot game while monitoring my gpu temperature and it stayed at a comfy 75C throughout, which is a-ok in terms of laptop cooling, GPU utilization was also low, I didn't notice it going above 50% (while still geting below 60 fps).

Any ideas?

Comments

• marktillerymarktillery Member, Administrator

@ergo Thanks for the report! We actually have seen some similar performance issues very recently, and are investigating them now.