Feedback after 1 day in TW4

Mechanics: When I finish the game and see confirmation that players don't appear to be making use of diverse comps (instead, they spam the base unit) I feel sad. It feels like the game creates an incentive for monobattles, and it would be cool if non-basic units have been synergy with basic units.

Game rhythm: When I'm playing the start of the game and there's little chance of interaction before the towers start diamond'ing, it feels boring - like I'm being tested on my creep mechanics. It would be cool if there was a more immediate incentive to interact with the opponent (or at least have a chance to).

Bases: Starting the game with a full bases removes the "growth/progress" feeling that I have enjoyed in other RTSs. It might be neat if bases automatically grew/regrew themselves in a "direction" on the field - like if there was a set of AI workers that would repair and rebuild in a certain zone.

Balance: Feels like green is really strong and white is weak. When I'm playing green and I get ahead, I'm not sure what the best comeback mechanic is. When I'm choosing units and the choice seems to be between (ranged, weak) and (melee, strong) I am bored. I think we could use some short-ranged basic units that destroy melee but lose to full range.

Collecting diamonds: When players are skirmishing elsewhere on the map but there are "free" gems to collect, I feel that the correct action for me to take and the most fun action are in opposition. It would be neat if "normal" units could collect gems, much more slowly or something.

Thank you!

Comments

• TreiskTreisk Member, Administrator

I want to touch mostly on your first point (compositional diversity). The short version of this is: Not only will adding more content (read: units) to the game help this, but, also, making a higher-tier unit should feel much more punchy than adding the same supply of basic units. We've still got work to do on that front, but that should very-much be the intent. Balance will obviously be a large part of that, as well.

Thanks for the post! Lots to consider here. Hope you enjoyed the test weekend! =)

• making a higher-tier unit should feel much more punchy than adding the same supply of basic units

I think the bigger units do feel more punchy individually, but they don't "sync" with other units the way Vex's spell syncs with his basic units. Stronger together, etc etc. Anyways, thanks again!

• TreiskTreisk Member, Administrator

@WillNotMafia said:
    I think the bigger units do feel more punchy individually, but they don't "sync" with other units the way Vex's spell syncs with his basic units. Stronger together, etc etc. Anyways, thanks again!

Hm, yeah, this does tend to be true pretty often. The big synergies right now are with, like, the Pyrosaur/Ignitor applying Ignite to give Spitfires bonus damage. Perhaps we could tap further into those synergies in later designs.

Thanks again!