Playtest 212: Test Weekend #4!

TreiskTreisk Member, Administrator

Playtest 212: Test Weekend #4!

General Gameplay

Your hotkeys have been reset!

• Unit abilities should now have much greater consistency in their hotkey assignments.
  • Scrap generators should now be providing significantly more scrap, especially earlier in the game.

Units

Blue

• Glacial Ranger

• Movement speed: 4.7 ⇒ 4.6
  • Plated Warrior

• Movement speed: 4.5 ⇒ 4.4
  • Voidling ⇒ Shield Slug

• Health: 240 ⇒ 200
    • Stock cost: 5 ⇒ 6
    • Damage: 30 ⇒ 20
  • Kingpin

• Visuals adjusted -- projectile should now be much easier to track!
  • Frostcaller

• Frostfall

• Is now a channeled ability
      • Range: 11 ⇒ 16

Green

• Alder

• Deeproot Terror (Ultimate)

• Initial delay: 1.5 seconds ⇒ 3.5 seconds
  • Seedbot

• Sapling

• Health: 80 ⇒ 60
  • Terrapin Trooper

• Movement speed: 4.6 ⇒ 4.9
    • Rocket Rush should no longer erroneously hit targets behind the Trooper
  • Chain Attackers have been disabled
  • Howling Commando

• Now a Basic unit!
    • No longer has Stone Shield
    • Scrap cost: 50 ⇒ 10
    • Tech level: 2 ⇒ 1
    • Health: 300 ⇒ 240
    • Damage: 40 ⇒ 20
    • Range: 3.5 ⇒ 5
    • Splash radius: 1.75 ⇒ 1.5
    • Splash damage: 50% ⇒ 75%
    • Movement speed: 4.6 ⇒ 4.8
    • Unit Cap: 8 ⇒ 25
  • Trebuchet

• Now fires three shots in a line, beginning at the target area
    • Damage: 500 ⇒ 150
    • Damage to Structures: 500 ⇒ 75
    • Delay: 10 seconds ⇒ 3.5 / 4.5 / 5.5 seconds
    • Radius: 6 ⇒ 3.4 / 3.4 / 3.4
  • Bramblethorn Goliath

• Tech Level: 3 ⇒ 2
    • Damage: ~`140~~ ⇒ 150
    • Range: 2 ⇒ 1
    • Cleave angle: 120 ⇒ 90 (radius unchanged)
    • Protosynthesis

• Healing per second: 100 ⇒ 5% of maximum health
  • Grove Tender

• Grow Needlefern

• Cast range: 15 ⇒ 9
      • Charges: 2 ⇒ 1
      • Health: 240 ⇒ 210
      • Damage: 90 ⇒ 60
      • Growth time: 1.5 seconds ⇒ 3 seconds
  • Toxin Alchemist

• Has grown considerably in size (~33%)
    • Health: 265 ⇒ 200
    • Range: 7 ⇒ 8
    • Attack cooldown: 3 seconds ⇒ 2 seconds
    • Armor type: Normal ⇒ Light
    • Deadly Toxin

• Damage: 33.3% of max health per second ⇒ 20% of max health per second
      • Damage Duration: 3 seconds ⇒ 2.5 seconds
      • Stack duration: 6 seconds ⇒ 2.5 seconds
  • Bruce the Moose has been disabled

Red

• Sandstinger

• Movement speed: 5.4 ⇒ 5.1
  • Spitfire

• Movement speed: 4.7 ⇒ 4.6
  • Beetle Fighter

• Health: 180 ⇒ 165
    • Speed: 4.7 ⇒ 4.9
    • Beetle

• Health: 60 ⇒ 25
      • Damage: 7 ⇒ 5
  • Pyrosaur

• Tech level: 2 ⇒ 3
    • Stock cost: 6 ⇒ 8
    • Scrap cost: 100 ⇒ 200
    • Health: 350 ⇒ 500
    • Damage: 20 ⇒ 50
    • Flamethrower

• Range: 7 ⇒ 9

White

• Vela

• Diplomatic Measures (Ultimate)

• Now affects all of the casting player's units.
  • Wisp

• Movement speed: 5.3 ⇒ 5.2
  • Sprinter

• Health: 160 ⇒ 170
    • Movement speed: 4.8 ⇒ 4.9
    • Sprint

• Bonus movement speed: 40% ⇒ 60%
      • Cooldown: 15 seconds ⇒ 30 seconds
  • Deadeye

• Corrected a bug that sometimes prevented Take Aim's telegraph from appearing
  • Conduit

• Has been reworked!

• Now deals continuous damage to a single target, dealing more damage the longer it channels its attack.

Comments

• wondiblewondible Member

Only got one PVP game tonight.

Haven't figured out how/if the economy queue is limited now. Tapped some keys now and then and things mostly worked out.

However I notice I tend to be low on pop and scrap/upgrades in post game stats. Pop is about my priorities, but I wonder if I'm missing something on scrap. Something for the player guide might be "if you want resource X, do 1, 2, or 3"

Combat felt pretty good. Tonight I was playing vela and many games on prior builds where I was getting wiped a lot were against vela. Still too many variables to say for certain. Despite having okay battles, I had one of the lower kill counts, so I guess I just wasn't engaging as much.

Trebuchets defined chunks of the game. Having things that shaped the battles was kind of cool, but offhand I can't think other units that have as big an impact, except perhaps transports/teleporters, which primarily affect strategic plays, not battles. It's not that I want Trebuchets nerfed, but I want more units that make people react to them, some of which are effective counterplays to mass Trebuchets.

I wasn't clear on whether the artillery shots coming in were friendly or enemy, hopefully I'll notice something with more experience.

• CohLysionCohLysion Member
    edited May 19

Tutorial

(1.1) - It's possible to finish the tutorial before hitting all the mission cards, going after the neutral camp. Not a big deal.

(1.2) - [BUG] Tutorial loading while tabbed out seems to lock out controls. Repro'd with a modal interface element requiring a "Next..." interaction. Does not repro when tabbing out when element has already rendered. Does not actually lock out input, can still box select through the modal. Does appear to block progression in the tutorial, though (eg. repro'd at point where you get pyrosaur; in this case, the wall won't drop).

(1.3) - Rebinding before "select all army" lesson soft-breaks tutorial (cleared by rebinding [army and hero] to any key and triggering).

(1.4) - No explanation about ultimates and leveling. Merely recording here for checklists, probably just didn't have time or "story space" to go to that level of detail.

UI

(2.1) - Holy cow, unit picker UI seems a lot snappier tonight. Suppose it could be just due to bot game loading requiring less interaction with servers?

Bots

(3.1) - Like the auto "GG WP" (first time noticing it). Don't know if that applies in human games or not. Small steps.

• TrillenTrillen Member

Now that Pyrosaurs are t3 maybe their upgrade should also be t3 too :P

• MAP

(1) - After playing a bunch of games with the new map, I think that it's too cramped. There is random terrain sitting in the way that makes it quite frustrating to try and engage. Pretty much everyone seems to just attack move through the chokes as a blob, which leaves no real room for micro. I think it would be interesting to open up one or two of the gem fountains and have a bit more variation in the combat.

(2) - The two large camps in the northwest and southeast corners seem pretty bad. I don't think I have seen them taken by anyone in at least 10 games. Since the gem rewards are proportional to the number of times you kill a camp, it simply isn't worth it later in the game to start taking them. To make up for that and the vulnerable position these camps could have a more useful benefit.

Replays

(1) - The replay currently makes you sit through the squad pick, which takes a long time.

(2) - The controls were unresponsive, and there were large delays between trying to fast forward and the playback actually speeding up.

(3) - I might have missed it, but it seems like there is no skipping around, either forwards or backwards.

• I also only got one PvP game in (same one as wondible: Ga2864042d7274c02ab6a5635408d5b29).

As wondible mentioned, the most notable thing about the game was presidenttimes' trebuchets. He had them sitting in his base, and the blanket fire he was able to lay down made it pretty much impossible for my team to approach the nexus. There might have been some counterplay that didn't occur to us. For one thing, maybe it would have actually been correct to purchase magic resist. Because they were probably sitting in the super healing zone, I don't think a drop attack would work. Likewise, we could build our own trebuchets to poke at president's, but they would just heal immediately.

Perhaps this is what magic resist upgrades are for. However, rather than hardening my normal comp to this type of damage, I was kind of wishing for a unit with high natural magic or splash damage reduction.

In other notes: The abominable sludge's slow turning motion is kind of awkward to work with and doesn't really fit with the new model. Perhaps a stuttered gate where the sludge flows forward in body-length bursts?

• I agree Grath feels strong now. Previously felt weak so this is good. Trebuchets are too good I think though. Vela is still great not sure if op or balanced at this point prob balanced.

Howling commandos are possibly my new fave unit with their changes.

This build is legit fun to play. Even against AI which is super surprising

Eris really did seem weak but did not see much of it that I remember.

Vex looks good, I see a lot of room for better play from people. I think if we get a truly great Vex player they could dominate.

Blue is in a good spot I think.

I am conflicted on alder but don't really "get" him.