Hero -> Commander

Me and another tester were discussing the feeling that the hero has little impact, and I came upon a thought that he responded well to. The name "hero" put a weight on the unit and made us feel as though it should be more important - it brought to my mind the heroes in DotA 2 who are of course much more impactful than the heroes in this game, because the DotA 2 hero is often the only unit you control. The heroes in this game actually remind me more of Gods from Age of Mythology, as their most important role is deciding your unit composition, not the active abilities they provide. I think that the name commander would be more fitting and maybe make the player feel less like the hero is "boring" compared to heroes in other games like DotA 2. I know it's only semantics but I think the name Commander is more fitting. Thanks for listening!

Comments

• I think the Commander terminology fits more with the theme as well. I also was expecting my hero to be a big bad mofo, but he was a wimp (the two heroes I've tried both fall in that bucket). My minions have better abilities and the larger ones are about as durable as my hero.

• I like this suggestion as well. Though your Hero is a strong unit, they aren't really that much stronger than other units.

Commander seems to fit, and it moves the game a bit further away from the comparison with games like League or Dota.

• @Benenach said:
    I like this suggestion as well. Though your Hero is a strong unit, they aren't really that much stronger than other units.

Commander seems to fit, and it moves the game a bit further away from the comparison with games like League or Dota.

DotA/WC3 has the Hero, LoL has the Champ, and Atlas can have the Commander!

• Commander is used in the TA/SupCom/PA family for the start builder (and nexus, win condition wise) May or may not want that baggage as much.

• @wondible said:
    Commander is used in the TA/SupCom/PA family for the start builder (and nexus, win condition wise) May or may not want that baggage as much.

I think this is a valid concern. Although the Commander in those games was still a decent fighter in the early stages, it's true that his primary role was building.