Wasn't This Game Supposed to be In-Browser?

I love RTS games, and I love web development. I write games for the web in my free time. So when I heard about this project, a multiplayer RTS game whose client would reside on a web page, I jumped for joy! I immediately signed up, and then put my name in for the alpha as well.

What happened? I don't recall an announcement about this move to a desktop client. From what I've read, it seems like tertiary tools will still be browser available, but I'm really disappointed that the client is download-only, and even further that there is no downloadable client for *nix. My hype is kill, can anyone resurrect?

Comments

• HazardHazard Member

There was an announcement blog post below.
    http://blog.artillery.com/2015/09/artillery-native-game-client.html

TLDR: Javascript Slow C++ Fast.

Hope this answers your questions!

• That's really, really not what I would consider the TL,DR of that post, but thanks for the link.

• @Bloodyaugust said:
    That's really, really not what I would consider the TL,DR of that post, but thanks for the link.

That's how I read it.

Technically I think the TLDR; is that HTML5 overall (and by that I mean the HTML5 umbrella, not just the language) isn't where it needs to be to fully displace desktop based gaming. But Javascript is likely the slowest part of that umbrella and natively compiled languages with their own processes are still superior to interpreted languages running on a browser.

The other part of this is that Google's been on the warpath against plugins, so it sort of killed the possibility of a bridged design like using Unity as an engine. It's interesting to see how Microsoft and Google have differed in their approaches to becoming the masters of their domains (Microsoft in OS, Google in Browsers). Microsoft accepted the negative press and continued to do what they could to apply security changes over time. Google just sort of said "forget this" and removed functionality.