What's the design intention behind V to deploy units?

Thought about this a lot and this is kind of a weird mechanic. The only real advantage seems to be so you can deploy units if the enemy is in your base - without one by one them trickling out. If this is the only benefit - why not make this a toggleable mode... because as a player actually needing units to come out in this fashion is very, very rare. (Maybe 1% of my experience?) But having to do this every single time I build... it's a lot of micro for my macro game.

Am I missing something in the economy minutia?

Comments

• BeanYakBeanYak Member

One of the devs in the chat mentioned that it prevents people from accidentally throwing their newly queued units into enemy units while not paying attention. It makes sense, but I still find it silly for an RTS game.

• Personally I like it. I'm thinking a main purpose will be for late game. Have a decent portion of your army with your hero out and about, but have the rest of what you can make waiting in base. Then when enemies start attacking your base you can easily pop them out and they are already close. Helps because they don't get selected with ~.

• I totally get the reasoning---lets you deploy all of your units at once to throw off your opponents, but I wish you could toggle it on and off. Maybe make that a feature?

• Maybe I missing something, but it would be nice if I can set rally point for my warped units
    (for each warp-zone separately)
    (and of course, that should work if rally point is on hero, or other units)

I don't see any problems with units dying due to wrong rally point - it's just consequence of players actions :+1: