Unit collision weirdness

While playing my first game, I chose the second blue race, the tidal dudes. First off, lots of fun. They felt like they had a true identity of frontline tanks. And that Cannonball ability... that is FAR too much fun. Anyway, I noticed that I wanted to be pretty careful about unit positioning, so I was trying to set up my army and I noticed that the collision on some of the units was weird. The units acted as if they were bigger than the actually were, so I had a hard time squeezing some of them together. Also, trying to move units passed each other was a challenge; I had to move the line of units that I was trying to get passed before I could successfully do so.

Either way, lots of fun so far.

Comments

• TreiskTreisk Member, Administrator

Awesome, thanks for posting! Going to investigate the sizes of these units; though, the changes may not make it in for this set of tests. Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

• i also noticed some odd collision and unit pathing. i was playing Celesta and while trying to position my purifiers in their rooted mode (love those things by the way so fun to siege slowly accross the map) that my other units seemed to have difficulty getting by them

• I had a similar-ish issue. I noticed one of my units collide with an allies in a choke point, and then neither of them could figure out how to move - they just stood kind of facing each other. They only figured out how to navigate again once I gave the unit a new command to move the other way.

• I had a similar issue where my hero could not pass through a gap that looked big enough for him to fit through my allies units and a tower.

• yeah the pathing and collision models are really weird i think. there's been several times where my units just sort of run back and forth like idiots when i'm trying to move through small spaces that look big enough

• Also confirming the issue.

I will say, I think body blocking could be an interesting mechanic, help make tactics and unit choice even more important, but yeah, currently the units don't move around each other and seem to get stuck on the slightest overlap.

• I feel the same way. When using a targeted ability slightly out of range, it would sometimes feel like my units took the most roundabout way to get there (likely due to the actual unit hitboxes being slightly larger than I visually interpreted them based on the unit models)

• @Method said:
    While playing my first game, I chose the second blue race, the tidal dudes. First off, lots of fun. They felt like they had a true identity of frontline tanks. And that Cannonball ability... that is FAR too much fun. Anyway, I noticed that I wanted to be pretty careful about unit positioning, so I was trying to set up my army and I noticed that the collision on some of the units was weird. The units acted as if they were bigger than the actually were, so I had a hard time squeezing some of them together. Also, trying to move units passed each other was a challenge; I had to move the line of units that I was trying to get passed before I could successfully do so.

Either way, lots of fun so far.

Same experience with the blocking of units. I also think that it could be an interesting tactic. I would also note that some the structures seemed larger than they appeared resulting in similar pathing blocking oddness.

• I would say the biggest negative (out of a lot of positives) in the game for me right now is the way pathing/collision works. Feels very SC:BW, where I'm just frustrated with how my units move, because it's clunky, often slow, and semi-unpredictable. I feel like it makes Hydros specifically really hard to play.