PvP Impressions and strategy for the bottom lane

hjkatzhjkatz Member
edited March 7 in Feedback

So I just got done playing some awesome Atlas PvP Technical Pre-Alpha games, and I thought that I would give feedback...how creative.

Negative Feedback

• I feel hindered when I can't spend scrap or gold due to artificial timers such as gold income and gem spawns. I suggest camps that respawn. I suggest being able to queue up purchases.
  • I felt silly when I cast the martyr's shield and both my martyrs used the shield. I would expect that only one uses it at any time. I suggest a right click to change ability cast type. Type A: When the ability is cast, ALL units cast the ability that can and are in range. Type B: When the ability is cast, ONE unit casts the ability if in range. By switching between the two I could better fit multiple spell casters into my squad.
  • The game feel "sluggish" with me questioning where to go and what to do. This is similar to when I started playing Dota. I found that in Dota with the evolution of roles and farming order, I was able to understand what to do next during lull moments. It made me realize that if there was a lull, it was my fault as a support, etc... I suggest better tuning the roles of the squads to enhance their play styles and give more purpose. Make vex even weaker, but stronger in squirmishes. Reduce Rhymes damage but make his CC cast faster. Make a squad who's purpose is to push and reinforce bases. Etc...
  • I feel that massing leviathans is currently the best way to win the game. I feel powerful, but I think the game would benefit from having a variety of game winning mercs. (On that note I have a suggestion for mercs at the bottom.)
  • I felt helpless when I was out of position to help my tower from being taken. Towers in this game are just as important as in dota, and in dota I have TPs and glyph. I think atlas would benefit greatly from a fortification of sorts.
  • I felt daunted by the feat of trying to claw my teams way back into the game when we had 1 devastating team fight. In dota there is a swing mechanic for coming back, in atlas I do not feel that coming back is particularly easy in any sense. Additionally to be able to comeback requires vision, and gems for vision is costly when I'm in a losing position.

Positive Feedback

• I felt extremely powerful when I sniped off my enemy's transport ship.
  • I felt bad when I sniped off my enemy's transport ship and they lost their entire army. Too bad, so sad :)
  • I felt empowered when I was crushing my lane solo and I could continue to out maneuver and out purchase my enemy with vision and gem advantages.
  • The more I play this game the more I want to play this game. Great job!

Bot Lane Game

I played a particularly interesting game bottom. I did not realize it at the time, but afterwards I was spoken to by a daily tester named Zelda that I had an interesting strategy that's the first she's seen. In all honesty I crushed her in my path to victory for my team, but nonetheless here's the game: Gd44cfbf886c54cca8c8f479298f5257c

Bot Lane Strategy

Pick Ryme + Raiders (Triangle), his CC is fantastic (broken) and his damage is 3rd highest in the game at start. Really good squad and cheap enough units at 100g per t1. Our goal is to get an early game gem advantage with a quick expand bottom at the double gem. Then we should tower up and buy engineers.

Abilities: Deep freeze -> Frostbite -> Hypothermia
Mercs (Raiders): Enhancers, Shrikes

Build order:
* Mass Tier 1
* 1 Tier 3
* 2 Enhancers
* Mass Tier 1
* 1 Tier 3

Gameplan:
* Immediately spam R and Q to upgrade to tier 2 units and get tier 1 units out
* Take the easy green camp.
* Expand to the natural and take the scrap camp.
* 2:00 Collect gems from middle.
* Take one of the gem medium camps by your "middle" tower at bot. Research t2 tech at your mercs. We're going for enhancers.
* 4:00 Collect gems from middle.
* Take the second gem medium camp. Save your gems, only buy t1 units at this point.
* 6:00 Go to the bottom double gem during the lull phase, take the camp by doing the following:
* Freeze 1 big guy and the focus the other one with Q.
* Do the same to the other big guy and the flyers.
* Rotate your minions around so that your hero and them distribute the damage of the flyers.
* If you need help ask your ally to help guard your middle tower to put fear into your opponent.
* 8:00 ignore the gems, your enemy will gobble them up. It doesn't matter. Get the double gem expansion and build a shit-ton of towers (with your workers) at the very edges of the left and top. This will secure your base from attack.
* Purchase an engineer and enhancer. By this time you should have enough scrap and gems for 1 ion cannon.
* Build the ion cannon at the bottom expansion just behind your towers. You have now secured the bottom lane for victory and denied their tower and 2 natural. Congrats. You rock!
* Continue this strat of push -> expand -> towers -> engineer -> ion cannon
* Get some shrikes just in case.
* Win the game.

Mercs Suggestion

My impressions of the merc system is that it's a very early concept and it will be flushed out later. Nonetheless I'd like to give input and suggestions. I feel that the merc system in atlas is similar to the rune and summoner spell system of League of Legends. I would like for the merc system to be more in depth in terms of what mercs we bring into the game. I suggest the following:
* 4-5 Merc factions related to various aspects of the game.
* Each faction has 3-4 units.
* During the pick screen we choose 1 unit from each faction to add to our merc selection.
* Merc factions: Pushing (tanking vs. sieging), Anti-air/Anti-ground, Support (healing, shielding, etc...), Spell Casting / Technical, Game ending, Etc...
* We always have 2-3 basic mercs maybe?

This would allow us to choose an composition before going into the game. It would allow for the simplification of the build structures. And it would ease new players into the core concepts of the game and what an all-around build should consist of. Finally I think that this would allow for easy expanding of mercs and strategies as the game evolves.

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings!

--Katz