Tilde Key Unbound

In the middle of the game my Tilde key unbound. I think this is because I assigned a control group of all my units to a number key. The way I fixed it in game was to go to options and bind the key back to Tilde.

Game ID: G0f446f041f674f6b9be22aee3e27b4ef

Happened roughly 20-30 minutes in.

Comments

• patwoldpatwold Member

I had that happen to me as well, also when my army was assigned to a control group. The tilde key then seemed to only select units that were not in the control group, rather than the entire army. I was able to get the default behavior of the tilde key back a different way. Rather than going through the options, I did it by binding the control group to my main building. Removing the army from the group seemed to make those units available to the tilde key again.

Game ID: G6f4f7824333148cd8375eba4b264c619

I don't remember exactly when it occurred, but sometime around halfway I think.

• snkzsnkz Member, Administrator
    edited April 16

Atlas has three methods of modifying control groups

Ctrl + NUM - creates a new control group containing the selected units.
    Shift + NUM - add selected units to an existing control group
    Alt + NUM - create a new control group containing the selected units AND remove the selection from all other control groups (including Tilde!)

Whats likely happening here is that you created a control group using the Alt+NUM sequence. Alt works as "remove and set" operation, meaning all selected units are removed from any existing control groups and assigned to the new one at NUM.

Selecting that new control group and hitting Shift+~ should readd them to your tilde group. That or let those units die :p

Sorry about that! This isnt well explained as its more of an advance move! Causes a ton of trouble when youre not aware of it sadly.

• patwoldpatwold Member

Thanks for the clarification! That helps a lot!

• patwoldpatwold Member

I played around with control groups a bit and I think I get the alt/ctrl/shift differences. I noticed if a group that was created with alt was reassigned (for example, I had some units grouped with alt+4 and then assigned a different group of units using either ctrl+4 or alt+4), the units previously in the group where sort of in group limbo. They no longer belonged to their previous group, and they were still removed from the default tilde select. I guess if you were anticipating this behavior it may not be a bit deal, but since tilde was presented as a default select-all-army key, I expected unbound units to go back to this key.

• snkzsnkz Member, Administrator

ah I understand the confusion, currently units are assigned their default groups as they are deployed. Anything that happens after that is up to you manage!