Pathing feels a bit strange.

PandaPanda Member

I felt a bit confused/frustrated as I can't tell how my units will react when given a move command while they are separated. It seems as though they move to the point while retaining their distance from one another, but upon reaching the location it seems a few create almost a bridge of sorts. To me it feels odd as I'm used to most RTS games either retaining a formation (Like Age of Empires) or the units simply all clumping upon moving to a location such as Starcraft and Warcraft. The current system may come to feel more natural with more games, but after 3 matches it still feels odd. I find this a bit hard to explain without video, but maybe I could record something and send it to support.

However to explain it via Text Character...

My army is like XOX XOX
XOX XOX
XOX XOX
I move them and they stay like XOX XOX throughout their whole movement
XOX XOX
XOX XOX
Until upon arrival to the location they kind of go like XOX XOX Which to me feels kind of unnatural.
XOXXOX
XOX XOX

Curious if anyone else is noticing anything, or if maybe I'm just crazy. lol
Nonetheless, you all take care and have a good one. GL & HF everyone!

Comments

• PandaPanda Member

oops, apparently spaces dont show in forum posts... ignore the Text example lol

• PandaPanda Member

How my army is before movement, and how it stays during the movement:

XOX___XOX
    XOX___XOX
    XOX___XOX
    How my Army is upon arrival:

XOX___XOX
    _ XOXXOX _
    XOX___XOX

That's what I kind of meant to show

• Day9Day9 Member, Administrator

If you can give us a replay example w/ a timestamp that would be AWESOME. In the client, right click on your name and click on your player icon. This will load up a list of your replays. Right click and copy the big replay ID in here and tell us when the weird thing is!

We definitely have some more unusual goals w/ our pathfinding that I outlined a few months ago here: https://guardiansofatlas.xyz/forums/discussion/156/pathfinding-and-collision-megathread/p1

• PandaPanda Member

Apologies I'm so late on responding, had to take off for awhile and just got home.

My Match ID was: G1b84dc7e1ba24dca98f7fc54c96813a4

Throughout the game I believe most of the oddness I felt was that the terrain would divide my units and cause them to split and wouldn't regroup until the end (Which is fine, just me not used to small bits of terrain within an RTS)

However what I was trying to explain takes place at 20:50 in my game (Apologies it's so far into the match!)

Though there are some interesting mechanics in how units seem to attempt to maintain their location relative to the selected units. Like If I have units set up like:
    XoooX (X being sets of units and the little o's being space)

And If I click where the third 'o' the units to the right of it won't move to the point, but remain to the right of it (though they may slightly move, but not all the way) while the left units move to the point that was clicked.

I'd get some timestamps, but I need to study a bit for midterms and catch some z's as I gotta rise early. Tomorrow I should be able to and could do a game in which I just mess with separating armies and moving them around in different scenarios.

Apologies if any of this is hard to comprehend; quite exhausted so my brain's functionalities may not all be present. lol

Nonetheless, take care and have a good one!

• PandaPanda Member

Oh and since it's so close to the end, be careful as there isn't a reverse as far as I know lol. Had to watch it twice just to catch is since it's just really quick. May want to stop speeding it around 20:40

• Day9Day9 Member, Administrator

Ah this is fantastic! I'll be investigating these to see what's going wrong. Thanks for taking the time to point it out :)