Mercs

To put it in Day9's formula:

I did not have fun knowing my core force, consisting of squad units, could not sway the battle over a mercenary focused army.

It seems like mercenaries are the largest influences of skirmishes throughout the game. The largest resource available, scrap, is used to purchase mercenaries. Therefore, I believe that mercenaries are now the core force of the game. I believe they should be reworked considering then they were not meant to be this role. Either they should be rework to reinforce. Otherwise the developers should rethink the role of the mercenaries. Does anyone else have to say about this?

Comments

• Day9Day9 Member, Administrator

We completely agree.

Our big goal for TW2 was to explore the experience of gathering resources and making merc decisions. Would players develop different strategies? Would there be interesting battles over resources? What types of scouting would we see?

In order to investigate these, we stripped out statistical upgrades (a core piece of TW1) and set gold on a fixed track (this was not the case in TW1). Post TW2, we have plans to unify the experience of squad units + mercs so, as you suggest, squad units are the core army and mercs are supplementary.

Also, I'm curious to see what your experience of mercs is in PvP. Many players find PvP in the current form to be intensely squad vs squad focused.