A small list of observations about Sound, Hotkeys and Upgrades

The sound being global is a bit odd. I can understand it being either a bug or a game decision. When nothing is going on on my side of the map, it feels weird listening to the skirmishes of the middle and bottom areas. I would rather be able to see/have to look myself at those locations myself before I start hearing the sound. If this was an intentional design decision, I haven't yet decided if I think it's for the best or not.

Once units respawn, they lose their previous hotkeys. On one hand, I kind of like this from a Brood War perspective of just having to do more micro. On the other hand, I imagine beyond that desire there's no reason that units that respawn shouldn't go back into whatever hotkey group you had before unless you're attempting to make the game more difficult in that respect.

I also imagine what I'm about to say is going to be a feature later, but just in case this was another design decision, the inability to click on your units/your enemies units and see their upgrades is a bit jarring coming from Starcraft. I am unsure where this information should be displayed on the UI (Though I imagine the entire UI will be overhauled before release).

Comments

• BKcoreBKcore Member, Administrator
    edited December 2015

The sound being global is a bit odd

Yep, the audio engine is pretty rough right now. We'll definitely add good spatialized audio as we iterate on it!
    I personally like what Blizzard is doing with Overwatch. Local audio for most things, but big things like Ultimates are global.

Once units respawn, they lose their previous hotkeys.

Something we're still looking into for sure. Right now you can define hotkeys for selecting a specific tier of unit (see https://guardiansofatlas.xyz/forums/discussion/comment/74/#Comment_74) and that persists.

click on your units/your enemies units and see their upgrades

Totally aggree there. We want something like that, but we're still noodling on the best way to present that amount of information.

Great feedback! Keep it flowing :D

• You can hit Tab to see which upgrades people have purchased. You can hit Shift+Tab to see the base stats of your units and what they are after applying all of the upgrades you've purchased. They're just big ol' screen-covering overlays for now, but you can get to some of that information.

• The global sound is definitely one of the most distracting things for me. I can be looking at my base, and hear a battle happening somewhere. This often draws me away from performing macro tasks and pushes me towards micro. Now this would be a good thing If it was in a 1v1 scenario, but with 2 team mates, I don't know if those are the sounds of my battle or theirs.

I'm glad to hear you guys are working on that, and that you may approach it Overwatch style!