Day[9] Feedback & AMA #2!

Day9Day9 Member, Administrator
edited August 23 in General Discussion

Yaaay it's recorded and LOOOOOOOOOOONG! There are two parts to this video

1. In the first 45 minutes, I discuss the compilation of the big points we've seen in feedback from the PreAlpha. You can also find the feedback compilation in written form here
  2. From 45min to end, I answer all your questions from the AMA #2 thread!

(video removed)

Annotations will be added over time to help zoom around. I'm posting this right now before they're up so that way people can watch/respond sooner :D.

This forum will be available to all Pre Alpha testers until late Friday night. SO, post away if you have any additional comments or thoughts :).

Cheers

Comments

• SpideyCUSpideyCU Member
    edited December 2015

No further questions, just wanted to say thanks for answering our feedback this way. I know you (and others @ Artillery) have said that you want to build a community, and while "what makes the community a community is the community", it takes a lot of time & dedication on the behalf of the developers and I greatly appreciate that.

• Thanks a bunch for the feedback! Spent too much time watching it and I probably should have been doing other things, but oh well XD

Not a question, just a comment... but it seems like Day[9] has very different perceptions of how strategies and squads in Atlas should play out. For example, here, Day[9] says that Hydros is designed as a support/tank squad that is really weak without an ally in an engagement, but I've found Hydros to be at its strongest in mid-late game one on one engagements due to the extreme power increase that the ultimate (invulnerability for nearby units) and the Aquadillo (combined with the Scuttleguard, lots and lots of movement slows). I suppose it's even more powerful in combination with an ally, but I'm pretty sure I have not yet lost a 1 on 1 fight as Hydros when I had these abilities up. And with Vex, I haven't really felt that it relies on landing a Conflagrate, it's seemed to me that Pyrosaur is a much more consistent solution (perhaps not with as much potential as proper use of Conflagrate and focus fire micro, but easy to use effectively every time).

I feel like this means that I'm doing everything wrong....

• So building on my previous question about the squad design philosophy :)

First : My favorite squad is Vela, could you go over your core design goals for the squad, I personally like the feeling of carefully positioning my army to dart in and pick up kills, but often felt I was missing some part of what I was supposed to be doing.

Second: Are there are there any niches that are currently unfilled squad or unit wise that you want to fill, such as some squad role currently not present?

• @Trfel said:
    Not a question, just a comment... but it seems like Day[9] has very different perceptions of how strategies and squads in Atlas should play out. For example, here, Day[9] says that Hydros is designed as a support/tank squad that is really weak without an ally in an engagement, but I've found Hydros to be at its strongest in mid-late game one on one engagements due to the extreme power increase that the ultimate (invulnerability for nearby units) and the Aquadillo (combined with the Scuttleguard, lots and lots of movement slows). I suppose it's even more powerful in combination with an ally, but I'm pretty sure I have not yet lost a 1 on 1 fight as Hydros when I had these abilities up. And with Vex, I haven't really felt that it relies on landing a Conflagrate, it's seemed to me that Pyrosaur is a much more consistent solution (perhaps not with as much potential as proper use of Conflagrate and focus fire micro, but easy to use effectively every time).

Seeing as you are currently the best hydros player in the game (imho), I have to back you up on this. Hydros definitely felt like a great 1v1 fighter.

That being said, squads will be played in ways they were not intended to be played by the devs. But I don't see this as a downside. Honestly, having people come up with strats that other people don't see coming is one of the coolest parts of any RTS/MOBA.

• LefLef Member
    edited December 2015

I remember when there wasn't a cap on units and I got to build 5-8 apocalytes. It was the best.

• CycleCycle Member, Moderator

@Lef I remember when I got multiple Tree of Deaths since it was an ability on the T2 unit. I want to play an old build someday.

• It might make for a cool URF mode at some point in the future, having unbound units.

• It's been a lot of fun so far, Artillery! See you soon!

• I wish I was able to participate more, but it was fun nonetheless. High hopes for the game, and good luck for the future!

• It's been an incredible experience. Looking forward to next time! Good work :)