Round 1 Feedback: Victory Screen, barrier to entry, UI

I played my first game last night at 3 AM. I made a LOT of notes for myself as I played, and I'm going to list some of the things I noticed that I think my opinion won't change on as I move forward.

As a former starcraft player, I'm used to keeping track of a lot of information all at once. Stepping into Atlas last night, I noticed that everything was pretty straightforward barring a couple of things I only realized toward the end of the game.

1. Upgrades! 5 buildings in my corner, even with the tutorial video fresh in my mind it wasn't immediately obvious that the 4 '?' buildings needed to be selected separately to started a "build" of upgrades. It frustrated me a bit that I couldn't do a "build" in the way I thought I could -- but it turns out I could have done exactly what I had in mind all along. SOLUTIONS: Improve those '?' banners above the buildings to reflect the fact that they're usable directly instead of the arrow building. Alternatively, add a tooltip to appear when selecting the arrow building to say "Hey: You can totally get other upgrades with the '?' buildings!"
  2. Movement! Seems as if friend and enemy alike collide on EVERYTHING. This is both hilarious and frustrating. Pathfinding is fine for my own units. Pathfinding for the enemy appears ok, even if the AI does goofy things sometimes. The only thing is that colliding and getting stuck in other units seems to happen a lot. I'm not really sure what to recommend, because no-collision on friendly units might be terrible for balance. I can only recommend either tweaking the hitbox on every unit, or improving pathfinding around friendly units.

Comments

• marktillerymarktillery Member, Administrator

We're starting a big push to really improve pathing over the next 3 to 6 months - we're totally aware of how frustrating it is, but just haven't had time to focus on it until recently.

Thanks for playing!

• Day9Day9 Member, Administrator

LOL hey nice id :D.

Re upgrade buildings: The entire UI is comically bad for upgrades lol. We're going to be doing a complete overhaul of this down the road. Currently, I'd describe it as "functional enough" for testing purposes. Definitely agree with your comment.

Re movement, I've answered more in depth over here: https://guardiansofatlas.xyz/forums/discussion/21/movement#latest

Lets move the discussion over to that thread? :D