Initial Thoughts/Feedback

I'll start by saying I'm relatively new to RTS games from an experience standpoint. I've played them on and off since SC1, but never really competitively.

Starting off, the interface felt quite straight forward and, with a base RTS knowledge, nothing was too surprising. It felt good to be able to have everything work as I expected it to without having to spend to much time asking "what does this do?"

The key mechanics where all really straight forward and felt quite natural to be control units and the economy. As a laid back RTS player, it felt really good to just be able to press a single key to build a unit, as opposed to selecting a building (relocating camera) and pressing a button to make that happen.

Another thing that I noticed from my first couple games against bots (and later in PVP), was that the limited unit setup and functions make it a really intuitive step to start concentrating on micro/tactical movement- which is something I still haven't always had a good grasp on in other RTS games.

Some of the unit ability felt really natural and made sense. Others just seemed either clunky or often impractical. I'm partly chalking that up to not understanding the various units well enough, but (as a new player) the contrast was noticeable. On the next couple games I'll try and keep track of some of the individual abilities.

I did find the pathing frustrating in several of my games, where I would click to move my units and one or more would just end up going off in some random direction, or as happened in a few instances: run up against another friendly unit going the other way and just simply get stuck and stop.

One last comment until I get the chance to play a bit more: the larger stationary cannon had such a long build time, and are valuable enough to not be throw away placements, that I felt I needed to keep my army around to protect them while they are building (this might just be a strategic error on my part). Once built they certainly are effective, but during the built time it really did feel like I was taking my army out of play just to hang out around a cannon.