There's so much feedback!

Day9Day9 Member, Administrator

We are deeply humbled by the incredible response to Sunday's Atlas playtest. We more than doubled our expectation for number of games and attendance, and underestimated the amount of forum feedback we'd receive by a full order of magnitude. Thank you thank you thank you!!! We believe firmly that game design is a scientific pursuit, that we must test and gather data in order to make a quality product. Due to playtesting feedback, we've thrown away 3 full versions of Atlas over the last 2 years to bring you the (much better) build that we have today. Over the next few months we fully intend to take all your comments to make Atlas even better! I cannot emphasize enough how wonderful it is to have you all volunteering your time to help us.

On the unfortunate side, I need to figure out better feedback response methods! With so many responses, we're still trying to figure out the best way to address everyone's comments. My goal will be to answer as many individual posts as possible, and I'm going to begin collating answers into the megathreads to avoid redundancy. Also, I'll be doing an AMA to be recorded this Wednesday, a post Pre-Alpha video recorded next week, and a feedback summary emailed out before Xmas about the results of the Pre-Alpha. My hope is that this combination of things will address everyone's questions and comments.

If at any point you feel that your comments aren't being heard, feel free to make some noise or bump your threads! Ensuring that feedback feels like a back-and-forth dialogue instead of a one-way-street is a bit tricky and will require some iteration in itself :).

HOORAY FEEDBACK! :D :D :D

Comments

• AMA should go a great ways to addressing some of the design questions and prioritizations as Artillery sees it. In terms of getting feedback in a more concise fashion, the mega-threads are a good start. I think your post-feedback summaries have gone a good job of addressing what we've been saying. I would only ask that you not steer toward survey-style forms where we, say, rate features on a 1-10 scale. I don't like how subjective those types of things can be - a 7 for someone might be OMG AMAZING whereas another person treats it like an "eh, didn't do much for me".

• hair on firehair on fire Member
    edited December 2015

@SpideyCU said:
    AMA should go a great ways to addressing some of the design questions and prioritizations as Artillery sees it. In terms of getting feedback in a more concise fashion, the mega-threads are a good start. I think your post-feedback summaries have gone a good job of addressing what we've been saying. I would only ask that you not steer toward survey-style forms where we, say, rate features on a 1-10 scale. I don't like how subjective those types of things can be - a 7 for someone might be OMG AMAZING whereas another person treats it like an "eh, didn't do much for me".

What about hidden up votes and down votes?

Edit:
    I'm not sure either is helpful. Neither gives information about intentions or feelings, just "me likes" or "me doesn't like". I'm thinking in the abstract though (no examples), so I don't really know what I'm saying.

Edit 2 (trying to get more concrete):
    I liked the idea of Cycle's polls, "which squad do you think is the weakest/strongest?". Although I didn't answer them because I wasn't sure. An easier poll to answer would be "Which squad did you like/dislike the most?". And the results could be actionable: if 90% of people disliked a squad the most, that would prompt investigation.

• Day9Day9 Member, Administrator

We'll definitely want both subjective and objective feedback combos. Surveys are probably best for collecting some of the objective stuff better, but we would rarely use a survey as the guidepost for anything. Comments in forums and conversations are much more effective imo.