Impressions and Thoughts - Laning Isolation

Hey all!

I just got out of my first game, and it was a blast! I played as Celesta, who I find fits my play-style well; the siege units coupled with the faster swarm-y type units really makes me feel like I'm having a strategic impact on the game. I played on the top right side, which can be considered the "bottom lane" (I come from sc2 and league, so I'll be using terminology from there). I feel like for the first 10-20 minutes of the game, I didn't have any impact outside of my lane; any time I would try to move towards the mid lane I would fear losing my expos, and splitting up my units would not have helped my allies as much, so oftentimes I resorted to just turtling near my turret. It wasn't until the end of the game when I had already outfarmed my opponent was wiped his army was I able to join up with my allies to end the game. This is similar to the type of feeling you get in the top lane of LoL in around season 3-5; you would just farm your lane and not have any huge impact on the game until one of the players was so far ahead that it made sense to abandon the lane to help out the teammates. I'm not saying whether this is good or bad; I personally prefer to play the isolationist-type role in team games. However, it might be something that you guys might be trying to avoid, so I thought I'd let you know!

Overall, I had a blast playing this game; ranged units seem to be pretty powerful, and I enjoyed trying to outmicro my opponents. I hope my feedback helps!

Comments

• Yeah, I played one match as the solo-laner and it was really hard to tell what I should be doing. Just 1v1ing my opponent was honestly pretty boring compared to the back and forth flanking style of the 2v2, and after I lost a fight I often found myself standing under a turret waiting for units to respawn rather than being out on the map, just because I didn't want to give up ground in my own base.

I'm not sure if you're meant to keep the 1v1 up and just keep the status-quo or if they want you to be agressive with moving up to help your allies.

• My second game was also in the solo lane, and I basically stayed in my lane while my opponent went to help fight the 2v2 lane. Since he wasn't there, I was able to take all the expos and gem resources, which allowed me to max out and spawn a bunch of cubelets. My 2 teammates were able to hold onto their half of the map, so I just flanked their battle and wiped their team with the help of my teammates. It seems like you're at a pretty big disadvantage if you venture off to help the 2v2.

• My take on it was that the players in the 1v1 lane were supposed to always stay there and that at times, one player from the 2v2 lane was supposed to go help in the bottom lane. Could be very wrong, though, I have next to no experience with "lane games" like this.

• @Trfel You're currently discussing the "Meta". Atlas is a bit different, because I can't switch bottom with someone (since I'm stuck there, which is a bit odd...) Game Metas shouldn't be enforced by game design, in my opinion, but rather spawned from the strategy of the players. Think Dota2 vs. League, or any SC2 strategy.

• Bottom player can just rally units top though. Your bases are locked in but I don't think where you take your units is.

Also Meta conversation is interesting for such a young game. :) It's exciting.