Damage feels unsatisfying.

When my squad is doing damage to anything it is difficult to tell what is happening. This in general gives me an unsatisfied feeling but also makes game play more difficult for me.

Comments

• I can agree with this, especially melee units

• I agree, but I do think that will come with polish. The current sound effects and health bars are likely all place holders. Odds are they will add a health bar that changes color when a unit reaches low health making target firing and pulling weak units back easier and more satisfying.

• I agree.

• Conversely, when I could knock out a significant portion of an enemy's army it felt GREAT. In general, I think units are slower to die in this game than most other RTS, but it felt very satisfying to win late game engagements.

A death animation/sound could help this, but not sure about damage itself.

• Day9Day9 Member, Administrator

I also agree in many cases.

When there's BIG impact on pieces of army (ie big meteor blows up 4 units) those feel good. But, picking off an individual unit with damage isnt' as satisfying. This will be improved from a combo of things

1. Basic polish -- adding some satisfying graphical/audio/ui crunchiness
    2. Making consequences more impactful -- if you pick off a unit and then can do something really meaningful, it'll be much more rewarding!
    3. General tuning to the pacing of battle

All of which we have planned :)

• So, what im hearing Day[9], Ghost/Loom-style 15 minute scream audio death confirmed for wisps.

• @CygnusX1 said:
    So, what im hearing Day[9], Ghost/Loom-style 15 minute scream audio death confirmed for wisps.

Every unit will have a yell akin to a ghost dying in SC

• @Day[9]

Consequences: I agree that big impacts feel satisfying, but in my experience picking off individual enemies also felt satisfying and rewarding to me. In the early game coming out ahead one or two units was enough to take a more aggressive stance when claiming and denying early gems. Later on, a couple picks helped secure a position defending a neutral weapon. The consequences already feel pretty impactful.

Polish: The part I agree with are the comments about polish. When you AA a minion in LoL you can feel the chunk of their HP that goes away. When 10 zerglings repeatedly bash on a structure you can see how much it's HP bar is shrinking over time. I don't know why, but I don't get that same feeling until later in the game in Atlas. It could be something as simple as: On the arc shaped health bars you can't see small amounts of damage as easily as you would on a rectangular one.

• @Krevan I agree with what you're stating, particularly in the polish portion of your post. Simply put, I was squinting to see how effective my damage was (and, playing Hydros, which of my units were taking the most damage to heal). I never necessarily felt like I had to struggle to determine overall health status in other games. Good to hear that it's going to be addressed in the future!

• Day9Day9 Member, Administrator

@CygnusX1 said:
    So, what im hearing Day[9], Ghost/Loom-style 15 minute scream audio death confirmed for wisps.

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH