Neutral Weapons

I have to say - this is one of my favorite pieces of the game thus far. One of my favorite feelings in any game (video/card/board) or sport is the feeling of risk vs reward. Since I can dive pretty deep with my units since I don't lose them forever I was worried that everything would feel a bit risk free. However, the neutral weapons provide that feel in an awesome way. At times I am left with decisions weather to go for another expo or build something like a glass cannon. By making that decision I'm risking giving up on growing my economy and permanently losing a lot of gems. So right on gents! Really appreciate being a part of this and am really enjoying myself so far.

Comments

• Day9Day9 Member, Administrator

So happy you like it!

I was honestly a bit concerned when releasing this to everyone. Weapons can sound really weird if you describe it w/ a stank. "Weapons can shoot other buildings and other weapons, but not enemy squad units." I could imagine people being like "and why can't they just attack other enemy units too?"

As you say, the risk/reward is what's fun about weapons, but if your squad also permanently died, you'd feel robbed of getting to play. I'm SO thrilled you'er enjoying it <3

• Day9Day9 Member, Administrator

You're* lol

• Day man. There's an edit button at the top right hand corner of your message if you hover over it.
    This isn't AIM or Xfire xD

I love the neutral weapons I like to siege the middle of the map forcing the opponents to poke their head out or sending a swarm of GCs to the left or right in hopes to get them to over rotate their units.

• After playing PvP there is one piece of neutral weapons that feels not so good. I don't like the feeling of someone rolling up next to my nexus with what feels like a billion of the little glass cannons or spam building the little ion cannons. It is really hard to deal with because you are left with the choice to attack the neutral weapon (which means the enemy army accompanying it might melt your face) or dealing with the enemy army first (which might happen too slowly to save the nexus from the glass cannons).

It is unquestionably a tense moment and requires some quick decision - which is interesting - but is the only time in the game where I really feel that one person on the other team is capable of straight up winning the game for his team (maybe that is something that is intentional, maybe not - but it seems to take away from the team based feel of the rest of the game).

It feels like the "technical pre-alpha meta" has gone in a way where the larger glass cannons and the ion cannons are being passed over for more small glass cannons or more small ion cannons. So - for one reason or another - the risk of building the larger items is one that isn't rewarding enough. In my PvP games I only saw one or two large ion cannons (one was placed defensively and the other was placed behind a line of smaller ion cannons) and 10-ish large glass cannons. Meanwhile I saw 50+ small ion cannons and 100+ small glass cannons.

A solution could go a few different ways:

1) Weaken the smaller units/strengthen the larger units

2) Put a unit cap on neutral weapons by type per person. (This is where I lean, because I feel like the neutral weapon strength is pretty damn close to being dead on [especially after hearing that they were a recent addition] however it seemed the preference was for multiple small versions as opposed to a few big versions which felt really challenging to deal with [and - to me - that was less fun]. The reason I suggest by person is because I think it keeps one player from snowballing too much. In one particular game where this happened our bottom player had a tough game and in the end his opposition walked into our nexus area and dropped 30-40 glass cannons one after another. It was impossible to deal with even though me and the other teammate I was with top had played a solid game.)

However - after having said all that, I still love the concept. It feels really nice and gives you a reason to keep collecting gems throughout the duration of the game, provides the clearest path to victory, and adds the risk/reward feels that I love so very much.

• @CygnusX1 said:
    I don't like the feeling of someone rolling up next to my nexus with what feels like a billion of the little glass cannons or spam building the little ion cannons. It is really hard to deal with because you are left with the choice to attack the neutral weapon (which means the enemy army accompanying it might melt your face) or dealing with the enemy army first (which might happen too slowly to save the nexus from the glass cannons).

It does feel inconsistent to me that you can only have a limited number of units but (so far as I can tell) an unlimited number of neutral weapons.