Thoughts on unit mobility

Some of the problems regarding unit mobility have to do with collision and path-finding, which is a separate topic that other people have already addressed.

I'd like to bring up the lack of speed differences between different units. Currently I think unit movement is very stale, and there is not much difference in speed between the various squad units. I feel bored when I'm controlling armies.

Here are some comparisons between Starcraft 2 and Atlas.

1.  Slowest and Fastest units.
      -  In Starcraft:  Slowest: Queen off creep (sp 0.9375),  Fastest : Interceptor (sp 7.5).  An 800% increase.
      -  In Atlas:  Slowest: Purifier (sp 3.5),  Fastest: Raptor (sp 5.2).  A 148% increase.  

2.  Amount of upgrades involving speed or mobility.
      -  In Starcraft:  **TOTAL 11** _ (Charge, Blink, Stimpack, Centrifugal Hooks, Glial Reconstruction, Metabolic Boost,    Pneumatized Carapace, Muscular Augments, Gravitic Boosters, Gravitic Drive, and Graviton Catapult)_.
      -  In Atlas:   **TOTAL 4**  _ (Deft Roots, Aurabooster, Running Shoes, Repel Hex (ish?))_.

3.  Speed Upgrade Value
      -  In Starcraft the best upgrade, in my opinion, is speed on lings.  Increases Zergling's movement speed by 60%.
      -  In Atlas the best upgrade looks to be Running Shoes.  Increases Terrapin Trooper's movement speed by 10%.

Overall I feel like speed is hardly a mechanic in Atlas at the moment. For me, someone who's always enjoyed quick speedling counterattacks or quick stim marine splits, I'd like to see some Squad units have more mobile capability.

Comments

• I agree that there could be more variety, and frankly I wouldn't mind if everything was a bit faster, but some of the differences between the games make huge movement speed variations less viable in Atlas. Since each squad in Atlas can only really build 3 units (apart from neutral weapons) the units all need to be a bit more well-rounded than in SC2. Yes, zerglings are super fast, but they have absolutely awful survivability to make up for it, so they can only fulfill a few purposes. Atlas units can't really afford to be absolutely terrible at important roles.

Also, the big variety of movement impairing/enhancing effects make the actual variance in Atlas a lot bigger than just the base movement speeds.

• Day9Day9 Member, Administrator

Mobility is a place to explore as we add more systems. For a long time, Atlas was pretty much JUST combat -- You build units to fight, so speed differential is really only a "retreat tool" or "chase him down" tool. Adding more speed differential was just kinda... well it didn't really feel like anything big was happening.

BUT, as we add more pieces to the map, speed differential will become more interesting AND we have more opportunities to explore it. I think just now we're approaching a place where we can explore it :D.

• I think Alder Lord of vines is one thing that feels a bit slower. The tier 3 unit felt at least a lot slower than the others.

• I play Vela and the T3 Units speed aura is the best thing in the world. It allows me to do effective flanking maneuvers and quick retreats!

It also allows for effective kiting.

• Speed also matters a lot in kiting / getting good positions on fights. Think lings in SC2, getting a good surround is critical, and that is really only possible thanks to how fast lings run.

• JotakJotak Member
    edited December 2015

@Artillery.Day[9] said:

Mobility is a place to explore as we add more systems. For a long time, Atlas was pretty much JUST combat -- You build units to fight, so speed differential is really only a "retreat tool" or "chase him down" tool. Adding more speed differential was just kinda... well it didn't really feel like anything big was happening.

BUT, as we add more pieces to the map, speed differential will become more interesting AND we have more opportunities to explore it. I think just now we're approaching a place where we can explore it :D.

I understand what you're saying. It will be interesting to see what pathways atlas will begin adding, and what possibilities will be available later.