Playtest 223: Minor Balance & Pacing Adjustments

TreiskTreisk Member, Administrator

Playtest 223: Minor Balance & Pacing Adjustments

IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT SUNDAY PLAYTEST TIMES

- Sunday Playtest time: 2:00 - 4:00pm ⇒ 12:00pm - 2:00pm PST

Of note: For the next few weeks, we're seeking additional feedback on your experience playing with/against Bots! Also, just having more bot games played in general will give us replays we can examine to find/solve potential issues. Get out there and slay those bots!

General Gameplay

• Renamed the two primary resources! Officially, officially!

• Stock ⇒ Energy
    • Scrap ⇒ BioShards
  • Gem Fountain

• Reactivation time: 4 minutes ⇒ 5 minutes
    • Gems needed to summon a Titan: 8 ⇒ 10
    • Gem lifetime: 40 seconds ⇒ 30 seconds
    • Gem spawn rate: 8 seconds ⇒ 10 seconds
  • Nexus

• Health: 2000 ⇒ 8000
    • Physical Resist: 150 ⇒ 0
  • Nexus Tower

• Health: 2000 ⇒ 3000
    • Shields: 2000 ⇒ 3000
  • Nexus Shield Generator

• Health: 1500 ⇒ 2500
    • Shields: 1500 ⇒ 2500

Creeps

• Respawn times for camps have been adjusted

• EASY: 5 minutes ⇒ 6 minutes
    • MEDIUM: 8 minutes ⇒ 9 minutes
    • HARD: 10 minutes ⇒ 12 minutes

Units

Blue

• Hydros

• Turn the Tide

• Prevents unit death ⇒ Units may not be brought below 30% of their max health

• Please note that the tooltip for this ability has not yet been updated.
  • Quadrapus

• Plated Shell

• Now heals for 100 when applied
      • Plate granted: 5 ⇒ 15
      • Duration: 20 seconds ⇒ 6 seconds
      • Fixed a bug that prevented some Mercenaries from receiving Plated Shell
    • Intervention
    • Context: Since February, we've had a bug that prevented Intervention from working on any damage absorption beyond the first hit. That's, uh, fixed now.

• Broken ⇒ Fixed
      • Damage reduction: **50% ⇒ 70%
      • Duration: 6 seconds ⇒ 4 seconds
  • Ancient Ice Frog

• Icy Breath

• Wind-up: 1.6 seconds ⇒ 1.4 seconds

Green

• Terrapin Trooper

• Damage: 15 ⇒ 16
  • Howling Commando

• Health: 240 ⇒ 250
    • Attack cooldown: 1.5 seconds ⇒ 1.4 seconds
  • Rustborn Rhino ⇒ Batterhorn!

• Name changed!
    • Health: 1050 ⇒ 1150
  • Abominable Sludge

• Fixed a gamebreaking bug with the Oozemosis upgrade
    • Aura damage per second: 24 ⇒ 16

Red

• Apocalyte

• Energy cost: 3 ⇒ 6
    • Unit cap: 5 ⇒ 3
    • Destructive Prophecy

• Radius: 3.0 ⇒ 2.8
      • Delay: 1.9 seconds ⇒ 1.8 seconds
  • Ignitor

• Fireball

• Duration: 20 seconds ⇒ 18 seconds
      • Starting radius: 1.5 ⇒ 1.7
      • Ending radius: 4.5 ⇒ 4.2
  • Pyrosaur

• Size reduced by ~14%
    • Health: 500 ⇒ 650
    • Movement speed: 4.6 ⇒ 4.7

White

• Wisp

• Health: 75 ⇒ 70
  • Conduit

• Drill Laser

• Range: 20 ⇒ 23

Neutral

• Engineer

• Engineering

• Healing per second: 25 ⇒ 40
    • Become Ion Cannon

• No longer costs BioShards
  • Teleporter

• Fixed a bug that prevented the Teleporter from having an upgrade at all!
  • Trapper

• Slow Trap is now properly affected by Tenacity

Comments

• CohLysionCohLysion Member
    edited June 30

Units

Blues
    (1.1) - Though I didn't get a chance to play with them, I'm very excited for the Quadrapus now, both because of the added healing on the plate, but also because Intervention was previously broken. It was one of my favorite abilities, and I was always, in the back of my mind, confused that it didn't seem to do more.

Greens
    (1.2) - "Batterhorn" This wins fantastically and with style that is usually reserved for a practiced royalty or the most rarefied of single malt scotches.

Collection Screen

(2.1) - Just a note here, it's probably in a polish pass in the future, but as is, parsing the unit part of the collection screen is definitely tough.

• MilleaMillea Member

Nexus

Health: 2000 ⇒ 8000
    Physical Resist: 150 ⇒ 0

Note for people a bit confused on the physical resist part: This means Nexus's effective hit points (EHP) goes from 5000->8000.

The amount of shields shield batteries give the nexus go from 5000->2000 (EHP)

This means nexus EHP with 3 shield batteries 20000->14000.
    With 2: 15000->12000
    With 1: Unchanged (10000)
    With 0: 5000->8000

This makes # of shield batteries matter much less in a base race now, but makes base racing in general harder to do.

Magic damage is now much less effective against the nexus in comparison to before, (EHP vs magic damage 4000->16000)

• tedstertedster Member
    edited June 30

As much as I've been badly abusing Apocalytes, the change is a good one. They were too game-defining in their current state. I'm also a fan of slightly smaller radius but slightly faster cast time.

Also glad to see the Quadrapus buff. I'd been using them and noticed they were pretty close to worthless in addition to being super easy to snipe. The latter part might still prove to be an issue but for a defensive spellcaster it's definitely good to see some significant buffs.

I'm still worried the Quadrapus might struggle to find a home because Blue has so many ways to AOE slow/snare an opponent that often it's better to proactively reduce the enemy's damage by slowing them than by directly aiding your own dudes, but that might change if the Quad is good enough.

• wondiblewondible Member

Nothing much has been sticking out for me lately; I'm feeling more limited by being bad at game than by the game itself. Haven't experienced most of the unit changes from this patch yet.

Gameplay wise I have a bad habit of overcommitting and getting wiped, especially as melee. Often this is frustrating because I can't even accomplish my objective (e.g. killing a kingpin or trebuchet), although I've been able to hold the enemy off long enough for the last gem to collect a few times.

Had a good Hydros game last week where I ended up pushing with team+titan twice, using quadrapus and ult to keep them going. Last night I had a Hydros game where I seemed to be on the losing side of every fight.

I still find generators hard to manage. Supply/build are fine, but energy/bioshards tend to either be way too much, or chronically short. I've started experimenting with extreme generator builds to see if I can find a general direction I like. Pure bioshards/tech leaves you useless most of the game with insufficient upside, but might be useful in moderation. Mostly energy/supply left me desperate for energy.

Probably a first reaction, but BioShards feels like too many syllables for a basic resource. As in the game terms should have a sort of Huffman Coding where the things you think/talk about all the time have short easy words. I'm sure shorthands will develop - Bio, Shards, BS? ("I'm full of BS")

• MilleaMillea Member

@wondible. I have the same concern about the number of syllables. There's already an official shorthand of "Shards" which is what pops up in game, which somewhat alleviates the problem though.

• tedstertedster Member

I agree with the shorthand need, though I'm still a little sad to see Shard/Supply sharing the "S" resource tag.

• TreiskTreisk Member, Administrator

@CohLysion said:
    (1.1) - Though I didn't get a chance to play with them, I'm very excited for the Quadrapus now, both because of the added healing on the plate, but also because Intervention was previously broken. It was one of my favorite abilities, and I was always, in the back of my mind, confused that it didn't seem to do more.

In retrospect, it was so obvious that this was broken hahaha. Plated Shell, on the other hand, was just tragically not good. But man, 50% AOE damage reduction was obviously good, and just didn't feel that way. And now we know why, hahaha

Greens
    (1.2) - "Batterhorn" This wins fantastically and with style that is usually reserved for a practiced royalty or the most rarefied of single malt scotches.

Never had scotch, but I'm up for an adventure.

Collection Screen

(2.1) - Just a note here, it's probably in a polish pass in the future, but as is, parsing the unit part of the collection screen is definitely tough.

Duly noted. =)

• TreiskTreisk Member, Administrator

@wondible said:
    Probably a first reaction, but BioShards feels like too many syllables for a basic resource. As in the game terms should have a sort of Huffman Coding where the things you think/talk about all the time have short easy words. I'm sure shorthands will develop - Bio, Shards, BS? ("I'm full of BS")

We'll be using "Shards" in most of the voice-over work as the truncated name. Perhaps presenting it as that in tooltips is ideal. We've been tossing this back and forth and haven't come to a concrete conclusion just yet.

• FoambornFoamborn Member

Quadrapus fix is great. The transition from tier 1 to tier 2 is much smoother. I think the extra 20% reduction on intervention may be too strong. The plate change is also really nice. It is really nice to have another triage spell available. It also makes the upgrade (2 charges) better.

I really like the change to Hydros's ult also. It felt very sketchy to have all your army alive with no health bars and then you'd heal for pennies and get rolled. This change gives some needed wiggle room.

• LefLef Member

I won't comment on balance, but rather on systems that have cropped up in my absence. Auto-build is surprisingly reasonable. I left it on for the first 10ish minutes of my games and let it just make tier one units while I focused on micro. Eventually I turned it off since I wanted to go for apocalytes and ignitors and the auto-build didn't want to accommodate such high shard value units at such a fast pace. Auto-collect is excellent, even with the caveat that the gems die when the collectors are killed off. Anything that saves me clicks is awesome, and gem collection took a lot of clicks. I played through the tutorial before playing the test. I think its reasonable. I didn't know where upgrades were in the real games, but I imagine they're covered in the bot games that I haven't gotten to check out yet. Choosing between energy, shards, supply, or slots is interesting and certainly fulfills the 'attention tax' that most RTSs have, but I like it because it doesn't require me to shift screen position and is more immediately responsive to my current needs.

Battles were solid, but there was pretty serious lag going on in the 3ish games I played. Titan spawns felt like the major point of contention, but the game also felt flat. There were things that happened that changed the tenor of the game, but they were all player generated. It didn't feel like the game prompted any changes over the course of a match. The variation by unit composition and hero selection is probably enough, but I did notice a lack of a MegaTitan or Gem Frenzy to prompt action in the mid game. Overall though, the game feels like a much smoother experience than when I left.

• marktillerymarktillery Member, Administrator

@Lef glad to hear it! I'll take a look at your recent games to see what was going on with the lag.

• marktillerymarktillery Member, Administrator

@Lef ok here's a trace from one of your games:

http://imgur.com/G2RURT9

Take a look at the row labeled "ctick" for CohLysion, Trumpetmcool, and yourself. This row indicates when the simulation thread started each tick of the game. You'll see that for CohLysion and Trumpet, the ticks are mostly evenly spaced, but for you there are big gaps and then sudden bunches of ticks.

This indicates that there was some issue with the network between the server, and you, probably packet loss, although possibly buffering delays. This could have been caused by a weak wifi signal, a big upload or download going on at the same time, or just bad internet weather.

If this happens regularly with Atlas, but you don't experience lag with any other games, let me know.

• wondiblewondible Member

@Lef I had network issues with one game but web browsing was fine; went away when I changed my router (firmware change also helped) Not certain, but maybe something to try if you've got one you can borrow to test with, or from a different location.