Playtest 216: Neutral Camps reworked; Ignitor rework; Economy adjustments

TreiskTreisk Member, Administrator
edited June 8 in Patch Notes

Playtest 216: Neutral Camps reworked; Ignitor rework; Economy adjustments

Resources & Economy

• Stock clusters from neutral camps no longer scale in value, and are thus always worth 15 Stock.
  • Gem values have been adjusted.

• Titan Region Gem value: 20 Scrap ⇒ 15 Scrap
    • Small Gem value: 20 Scrap ⇒ 30 Scrap
    • Medium Gem value: 40 Scrap ⇒ 45 Scrap
    • Neutral Camp Gem Collection time: 40 seconds ⇒ 15 seconds
  • Increased the value of Stock generators across the board
  • Resource generators will now cycle through all available tasks by default.

• Previously alternated between Stock and Supply

Neutral Camps

• Respawn timer: 5 minutes ⇒ 6 minutes
  • Removed all abilities (including Mines and Smash) from neutral camps
  • Neutral camp minions no longer have Plate
  • Movement speeds adjusted to 3 across the board.
  • Caterpillar

• Attack cooldown: 2.5 seconds ⇒ 3 seconds
    • Health: 600 ⇒ 1000
  • Mantis Flower

• Attack cooldown: 2.5 seconds ⇒ 3 seconds
    • Health: 1200 ⇒ 1500
  • Flying Flytrap

• Attack cooldown: 1.5 seconds ⇒ 2 seconds
    • Health: 1400 ⇒ 1500
  • Pitcher Plant

• Attack cooldown: 1.5 seconds ⇒ 2 seconds
    • Range: 8 ⇒ 4

Units

Red

• Ignitor

• No longer has Oil Grenade
    • NEW ABILITY: Fireball

• Casts a large fireball that moves very slowly in the target direction, dealing heavy periodic damage to enemy units inside it.

Comments

• CraftyApeCraftyApe Member

So, I might be alone in this feeling, but it seems that the AOE proliferation is getting out of hand. Playing late game atlas at the moment feels more like a bullet hell than an RTS.

• wondiblewondible Member

Ignitor annihilates bots. Not as much damage when players dodge, but it still felt pretty good to make people move. Also need to get used to aiming line abilities with quick cast +indicator.

Once I activated a pyrosaur into a camp, it path deflected off to the side, but kept it's facing, which was now not hitting anything.

Camps have moments where you are just waiting to dps them down, but you can also work on positioning with your hero tank (esp with fragile basic units) without the smash to keep scrambling formations.

Economy is feeling significant. I'm still mismanaging things, but I'm getting a stronger sense that I mainly get scrap when I've queued it up recently. I usually forget about it when I'm not rebuilding units.

• CohLysionCohLysion Member

Quick notes here, didn't get to them last night:
    Gem Values - The reduced values seemed fine. I didn't personally notice much of an impact, so even better if the net is improved balance. Collection time reduction now seems fast. One had to be quick to contest, and definitely when your opponents were nearby, so overall this makes the pace of those engagements faster. I like.

New Troll Camps - I like the changes here. Plate removal reaction is kind of a shrug, fine either way. The new art is great, gives some of the character back that removing their attacks took away. Respawn change feels much longer now. Rotation felt a little unclear, but that would straighten out with time.

Fireball - Like the concept. In practice, I feel like it's kind of in the middle of being a good zoning tool and a good damage tool. The cooldown feels short, but the damage also seems lower for what I feel is implied by the skill. The control over an area seems overall low, when considering the cooldown and damage. However, this is largely from playing against with Hydros, where it doesn't seem to do as much. A couple times I just walked through it.

• I found that I prefer letting the generators automatically build production slots, rather than worrying about it myself. I was pretty content just to let the generators do their thing, though looking back at some of the games I think my opponent's gained an advantage by aggressively expanding their army supply.

Right now I don't feel like production slots are doing much as a strategic resource. The low number of slots at the start of the game feels like a minor hassle, and it doesn't seem like it would greatly change the dynamics of the game if players started with more slots.

Alternatively, I could see additional slots attached to tech level, since you usually want more slots to help with slower-building advanced units.

• TreiskTreisk Member, Administrator

@CraftyApe said:
    So, I might be alone in this feeling, but it seems that the AOE proliferation is getting out of hand. Playing late game atlas at the moment feels more like a bullet hell than an RTS.

A lot of this likely stems from how many of these super-high-impact spells can exist at once (for example, a team can have a combined 12 fireballs/trebuchets right now). We're in the planning stages for the rest of this week, but one thing we'll be taking a look at once we have things mapped out a bit more is the number of each of these units that can exist in a game at once.

@wondible said:
    Ignitor annihilates bots.

Hahahaha, oh man, poor bots. So often we make things without their feelings in mind.

Once I activated a pyrosaur into a camp, it path deflected off to the side, but kept it's facing, which was now not hitting anything.

Do you mean you got nudged to the side by another unit and you couldn't adjust it back into position? Could you point to a time where this happened? I'd love to take a look.

Thanks as always! <3

@Deaucalion said:
    I found that I prefer letting the generators automatically build production slots, rather than worrying about it myself. I was pretty content just to let the generators do their thing,

THE SYSTEM IS MOSTLY WORKING, WOOO!

Right now I don't feel like production slots are doing much as a strategic resource. The low number of slots at the start of the game feels like a minor hassle, and it doesn't seem like it would greatly change the dynamics of the game if players started with more slots.
    Alternatively, I could see additional slots attached to tech level, since you usually want more slots to help with slower-building advanced units.

Generators are something we're taking a look at over the next few weeks, and slot generators are one that have come up quite a bit. No clear answer for you here, but this is on our minds.

@CohLysion said:
    New Troll Camps - I like the changes here. Plate removal reaction is kind of a shrug, fine either way. The new art is great, gives some of the character back that removing their attacks took away. Respawn change feels much longer now. Rotation felt a little unclear, but that would straighten out with time.

We'll likely be adjusting camp respawn times even further over the next couple weeks. This has proven, even with a smaller experiment, to be a very useful tool for giving us some texture in terms of how games pace.

• SlammeRSlammeR Member

@Treisk said:
    We'll likely be adjusting camp respawn times even further over the next couple weeks. This has proven, even with a smaller experiment, to be a very useful tool for giving us some texture in terms of how games pace.

I actually like the longer re-spawn timers for creep camps, before I felt like I had to constantly run around the map clearing camps. Now I feel like I have some down time to relax a bit, poke around the map, and take fights without worrying about missing out on optimal eco from creep camps.

@SlammeR This is in line with what we're thinking about right now as well. :D

• wondiblewondible Member

Do you mean you got nudged to the side by another unit and you couldn't adjust it back into position? Could you point to a time where this happened? I'd love to take a look.

Gef59384d0247453196cdd1645789267c

Blue bottom medium healing well camp around 24:00. Looks like the pyrosaur was behind my own units and may have been trying to path around them.