Initial Feedback

I've played a few games now so I have a chunk of initial thoughts. Obviously still suuuper nubby so heaping pile of salt...

Out of Game
* I like that the game itself is separate from the launcher or whatever you want to call it. I wouldn't have thought so initially, but having used it, I do.
* If I have the game client open and the browser window open they both show alerts for friends and chat, but they're not synced. That is, if I accept a request, or open a chat or otherwise clear an alert or counter it only happens in the context of the window I'm in. It would be much better if they synced so that accepting a friend request in one context removed the alert from the others.
* Do I really want to know that there have been 514 replies in general? Not really. I mean it's nice to have a number, but at some point it's obvious that I've missed a buttload of messages and I'm never going to catch up. And at 514 I'm probably not paying attention anyway. Maybe a subtle, slow blinking or something so I know something's up, but it's not begging me to clear it. (I'm one of those people that can't stand unread emails in my inbox.)
* I really like the music but it's loud even after turning it down to 10%.
* Replays take forever to load? Dunno. Gave up after 5 minutes and killed it...or tried to. Would be nice to be able to cancel. Had to kill it manually which made it sad. :(

In Game
* Is there a way to see actual numbers like health? I couldn't figure it out while trying not to die.
* Movement of units feels terribly slow. I assume that's intentional to make it harder to rapidly overwhelm things, but it's painful. I chose the fastest set of units the second time around just because of this and it was barely kinda tolerable.
* Pathing is sometimes bad. Like, maybe not Broodwar bad, but it conjured up the same memories and made me shiver. Units get kind dumb around sharp corners and just bumble. Units are really bad about stumbling over each other when trying to attack something. Maybe there's some skill in keeping your guys organized and ordered so they don't do that, but I don't enjoy expressing skill that way (maybe just me).
* Game speed in general just feels slow actually. Maybe I just haven't figured out enough things to do to stay busy because I'm dumb at the game, but I feel like once you memorize the tech options you really won't spend any time on them so it's mostly just micro. Nothing against micro, but with slow moving units and clunky pathing it's not real compelling to me.
* Recalling home is nice. Being able to teleport to other locations might be interesting. Maybe if you had to build a teleporter as a neutral unit. Slow build time, lowish health.
* Seems like you can't give units orders on the minimap? I tried moving them with the minimap and it didn't seem to work.
* Some of the map features are path blocking that weren't obvious to me at first. Mostly the flat grey things scattered around the otherwise open places. I guess it's so you can shoot over them but not move over them? I think I'm ok with their function, but visually they just don't stand out well to me.
* I'm guessing there are no flying units by design? Might be interesting flavor In small numbers, or perhaps some dive-bombing scourge: medium-high cost, launch from base, fastish, low health, suicide toward a target. Would be great for finishing off a tower you just couldn't quite get.

Well that's my brain dumb for now. Apologies for nubbing and splatting out a wall of text...

-- Seretak --

Comments

• TreiskTreisk Member, Administrator

514926 replies

As someone who gets twitchy when I see busy group chats in other applications climb to literally hundreds or thousands of unread replies, I empathize here. May investigate truncating that down to "9+..." or something such.

Replays

Replays are currently being fixed; they certainly did not work at the time of this post, or prior since opening up the test. Rest assured we're on the case!

Stat numbers (such as health)

The shift-tab menu may sate your fix for stats. =)

Pathing

Pathing definitely has its issues. This will be a big thing we iterate on over the next several months. That said, please still continue to give us lots of feedback on this and all areas!

Thanks so much for testing! The other feedback will of course be passed on and discussed. Please continue to post your thoughts as they come! :D