Upgrade Confusion

I ran into a bit of confusion where I got into a situation where it was impossible for me to upgrade all of my armories to level three, which felt like a bit of a let down in the moment.

I understand the mechanic whereby you can only have one armory with a specific upgrade active at any given time. Therefore, I decided to start with four different types of upgrades at the level 1 tier. As I leveled these up I explored some of the branching options. Unfortunately, the specific pathways I took on two of the armories were:

LVL 1 AD --> LVL 2 AD --> LVL 3 AD + AS
LVL 1 AS --> LVL 2 AD + AS --> ??? (nothing)

The only option for a LVL 3 upgrade on the second armory was the AD + AS one, which I already had at that point. I hadn't double checked to make sure that I would have enough options before getting that first LVL 3 upgrade. Intuitively, it feels like if I start with all different upgrades, no matter what branching patterns I take, I should be able to end up with all level 3 upgrades at the end.

I will definitely never make this mistake again, so maybe a fix is not needed. On the other hand, it still feels like I should be guaranteed four different end points if I chose four different starting points. I could see some scenarios where a misclick becomes a little two costly as you are deprived and entire upgrade level.

One solution would be to make sure that each upgrade tree has a core that doesn't change. For example, in my scenario, if you start at LVL 1 AS, no matter what is chosen for level 2, the level 3 tier should also include a pure LVL 3 AS.

Another solution would be to allow players to undo upgrades with no refund or a partial refund. However, this may fall into the category of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." This type of fix would address more than just the problem at hand, and I actually like the feeling that you are permanently shaping the nature of your army. I just think that it should be a bit more difficult to accidentally dig yourself into the kind of hole I found myself in, especially since I made my initial decisions with the "no two of the same upgrade" mechanic in mind.

Comments

• Day9Day9 Member, Administrator

This is flat out correct. We should not present to you the opportunity to go down a path where you "suddenly find out" that you've shot yourself in the foot. I think the best solution is to always have 4 possible upgrade options for each T2 structure.

• Day9Day9 Member, Administrator

Ok added to ze to-do list!