Vela, Elegant Assassin -- Discussion

My first impressions of this squad were met with joy. I liked the scoot and shoot mechanics of the raptor, and the ability to use Q to pick them off even more if they back off, and I enjoyed it a lot. The deadeye added to that, and suddenly I was able to take down their large minions in a single snipe!

But later on, what I felt was that the windray didn't add enough to make it all come together -- either that, or the raptor and the deadeye feel a little out of place. Let's analyze them a bit.

Raptor -- This was the most fun thing for me with this squad, the mobility of this unit mixed with the Q to get the extra shot or two in makes for interesting micro, trying to pick off as much as you can, and aggressively taking the map.

Deadeye -- At first I liked the idea of this unit, I enjoyed picking some things off with it, but I felt like it kind of didn't belong with Raptors. Deadeyes are slow, and they don't put out much damage. If I didn't need to take down large enemies, I felt like I wanted to skip them and go with the mobile force of Raptors, as they seem to fit a similar role.

Windray -- This one I like the idea of again, making a choice between what to buff seems really cool. But again, after a bit it seemed like Range = Move speed, and it didn't make all that much of an impact which one you chose. Also they seemed to have very little impact on deadeyes, because they already moved really slowly and already had really good range. I wonder if Range/Damage would be better, or maybe Attack speed/Move speed?

I do really like aspects of Vela, but I find myself wanting a little more. I hope this feedback has been useful to you!

Comments

• All the range lets you kite pretty easily. If I remember correctly, there's an upgrade that increases the raptor range further, too. I like hiding in bushes near the towers and shooting them with my deadeyes, and the raptors when the Q pops up. If the bots come to try to stop me and I can't just kill their units, swapping the windrays to movement speed can let me escape unscathed.

• Day9Day9 Member, Administrator

The theme of vela is "sniping from afar," so we've tried to help provide a kit that allows for positioning, high single target damage, and range.

in PvP games, players tend to put a ton more pressure on Vela than a bot does. There (I hope) the strengths of the deadeye and windray will be more pronounced. If not, please lemme know :D